What's new

school me on my first av receiver? (1 Viewer)

j5k

Auditioning
Real Name
John Robinson
I'm looking to upgrade my home theater receiver. I'm also hoping that in the process of doing so, that I can simplify my setup into something more wife-friendly.

My current equipment is as follows:Sony STR-K790 receiver
Optoma HD65 projector
2009 Mac Mini (using a dvi->hdmi adapter)
Sony PS3

A bit of what I do know about the different pieces of kit, starting with the Sony receiver. The sub is NOT self-powered. I had hoped to keep the unit's speakers but so far I've yet to find a receiver that doesn't require a powered sub.

The mac mini only provides video over the hdmi connection, but can send audio over an optical cable. I'm assuming most receivers will let me specify a 'device' that encompasses multiple inputs? For example, for the mini, hdmi->video, optical->audio.

What scares me a little bit about the mini, is that a year or so ago I tried to install an hdmi switch into the system but I couldn't get the mini to work with the switch. Mini->dvi->hdmi->switch->projector resulted in no video at the projector. I'm hoping this will work with today's av receivers but I mention it here in case anyone has experience with it not. I'm going to give the switch another try tonight, and will report back my experience in case I'm remembering it wrong.

In addition, I really like the idea of being able to do audio-only things without having to power on the projector. I see a lot of receivers have internet streaming capabilities. While the mini can handle all of these and more, I've yet to find a remote solution that works well enough that I don't have to turn on the projector to listen to music. If the receiver solutions are as simple as 'play pandora' then my wife will be very, very happy.

Summary:1) I want to be able to switch between a mac mini and a ps3, without unplugging wires.2) I want internet capabilities at the receiver for streaming music without having to turn the projector on.
3) I want the mini to connect via hdmi (video) AND optical (audio).
4) I'd like to re-use my existing 5.1 speaker set (albeit, if I have to buy a new powered sub).I hope I'm not forgetting anything. I've been researching for days and while I've learned quite a bit I'm not confident enough to make any purchases. My home theater is my living room, which is under construction and waiting for me to run speaker wiring so I'm feeling a little pressured to make some decisions. If #4 above holds true, I can get by with what I have until I fully decide on a new receiver.Thanks in advance for any guidance!
j5k

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That Sony is ancient.

It appears the speakers you have are greater than 6ohm(as the back says 6-16). You can buy any AVR you want.

The trick will be an AVR that will allow HDMI with a simultaneous toslink. Three to four years ago...that was cake.

I haven't looked into any AVR in the last 2 years needing to be able to do it.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I know this one is out of your price range...but(assuming you don't want to spend $2000+).

I just messed with the Elite SC79(doing a review of it)...

Went into its set-up(currently on sat/cable)...turned "on" audio assign, changed it to opt 1(which I use for CD)...

Video from Directv, audio from the CD.

So, Pioneer offers it...all the way down to the 523? I have no idea.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Upon further reading...

Onkyo allows this as well...

You set the HDMI input...then from the Home Screen, set the optical input as well...then it allows toggling back and forth(you will find info on this on Xbox and PS2/3/4 forums as well. People always want to play video games while listening to something else...technically...the same thing you need to do "full time").

j5k

Auditioning
Real Name
John Robinson
Shan1269 - thanks for the info! I figured since the old sony allowed selecting separate video and audio sources for one device that newer systems would also offer this functionality. Unfortunately this functionality isn't listed on most retailers sites. I think what I'll do is check out the pieces you've recommended and try to find owners manuals online for them and read through their setup instructions.

j5k

Auditioning
Real Name
John Robinson
Alas. A little bit deeper thinking reveals that my old receiver doesn't know a thing about video input.

j5k

Auditioning
Real Name
John Robinson
Eureka! Monoprice has a combo display-port/toslink adapter that will combine the two signals into one hdmi signal! Now I just need to choose a powered sub.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I tend to not like those "Adapt to HDMI"(cover lots of things...Wii to HDMI etc, etc) for their want of being wonky...

No harm in trying one though.

j5k

Auditioning
Real Name
John Robinson
schan1269 said:
I tend to not like those "Adapt to HDMI"(cover lots of things...Wii to HDMI etc, etc) for their want of being wonky...

No harm in trying one though.
Agreed, the one I'm looking at doesn't have great reviews.

I'm about to pull the trigger on an Onkyo TX-NR626 bundled with a Martin Logan MLT-1 speaker system. I did a bit more research this morning. Inputs being 'assignable' seems to indicate the solution to my problem, without requiring the wonky adapter. Am I wrong in this assumption?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Inputs are always assignable. I researched it a bit as well. Seems as long as an AVR has "audio only" Inputs, they can be assigned to co-exist with video as well. Some AVR only have audio pre-Set with video(cheap bottom end AVR). The 626 isn't bottom end.

j5k

Auditioning
Real Name
John Robinson
Thanks again Sam - I ordered the 626 last night. Once I get it setup I'll report back as to how the experience goes with the mini.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks