What's new

Scenes That Gave You A Chill... (1 Viewer)

Gary Kelly

Auditioning
Lots of great chills in this thread. One I haven't seen yet:

In Memento when Sammy Jenkins is sitting in a chair and a nurse walks by, his face briefly changes to Leonard's.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
A good chill at the movies, a moment that thrills or awes is what I pray for every time I enter the theater. Here are some of my favorites:

Fellowship of the Ring
the camera pull-back in the limitless colonaded halls
of Moria.
The shot of the wedge of Black Riders in pursuit of
Arwen
The Two Towers
The panorama shot of Gandalf and the Balrog plunging
toward the water
The ride of the Rohirrim and Gandalf upon the Uruks at
Helm's Deep
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
The appearance of the Mother Ship
E.T.
The first time Elliot flies with E.T. through the
night sky.
The second time Elliot takes to the air to evade his
pursuers.
Star Wars: The New Hope
The long opening shot of the Empire ship pursuing
Leia's ship.
The Black Stallion
Almost the entire deserted island sequence
The Shawshank Redemption
The warden tears down the Rachel Welch poster to
reveal Andy's escape tunnel
The Hidden Fortress
The prisoner's revolt and battle down the castle steps
Apollo 13
The launch sequence of the Saturn 5
The Matrix
Trinity's first battle with the police trying to
arrest her

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Some really good mentions in this thread.

One of my favorites is another cut from Poltergeist when Diane (the mother) turns away from the kitchen table for a few seconds, then turns back and
all of the chairs are arranged on top of the table.

Of all the chilling moments from that movie, that one sticks out to me the most every time.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
Philip thanks for reminding me of the great Poltergeist moment. That sudden change was scarier to me than a lot of the more horrific effects later in the film. There is a similar scene in the Sixth Sense where the boys mom looks in the cupboard for cereal and when she turns around every drawer and cabinet has been opened. Very spooky.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
Grant Williams Existential Soliloquy at the end of "The Incredible Shrinking Man". It displays just how powerful a screenwriter Richard Matheson is.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
JohnVB's post reminded me of a great moment from another teacher-related movie: the final scene of Mr. Holland's Opus.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Training Day when Ethan Hawke looks out the window and realizes that Denzel has taken off and he's in the house all by himself with three gang members that are about to kill him.
Instant stomach drop for me. That was great.

Edit: Just a thought, what is the grace period you should give some one for a movie spoiler. Do you really need to use a spoiler tag if the movie you are referencing is over ten years old. Where is the line?:D

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
Seven - gave a chilly feeling of dred when you realize it's her head in the box (and the best part is that they never show it....The actors carry the rest).

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
At the end of "Private Ryan", when Hanks tells Ryan to "earn this". Gets me every time I watch it...

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Just a thought, what is the grace period you should give some one for a movie spoiler. Do you really need to use a spoiler tag if the movie you are referencing is over ten years old. Where is the line?
I would definitely say the grace period is more than 2 years. That scene should definitely be spoiler tagged.

But I don't know that there should be a grace period. I mean, I'm a fairly well-viewed movie buff, but there are a hell of a lot of movies, including classics, that I am yet to see. I would hate to have a film I hadn't seen spoiled for me just because some time limit had ended. A spoiler is a spoiler. When I saw Planet Of The Apes, I knew what the ending was. I still liked the film, but if I had not known how it would end, I think I would have enjoyed it more. While shows like The Simpsons have, to an extent, spoiled a lot of films - Citizen Kane, Casablanca, Planet of the Apes - that doesn't meant that we should then ruin any chance for people to be surprised by a film they haven't sen.

If something is a spoiler, it is a spoiler, and should be tagged, no matter how old the film.

DanielCo

Stunt Coordinator
Yes Andy, the end of Unforgiven is dynamite.

Also Chazz Palminteri relaxing for just a moment before looking around the office in Usual Suspects.

Oh, and Searching for Bobby Fischer, when Max Pomeranc offers a draw.

I remember just feeling giddy excitement in a Boston theater as the credits of Batman completed and the Batman logo is reveled in full.

Vito's tears when he hears that Michael was the one who killed Solozzo (still the best role I've ever seen acted in film).

Oh yes, "I ate his liver..." with that awesome mouth effect from Silence of the Lambs. Thanks Sir Anthony.
Ralph is right about that Pulp Fiction scene. Damn!

Thanks Ralph for reminding me of the Fishburne scene in Pulp Fiction. Goosebumps each time I see that.

Ruslan

Stunt Coordinator
Dave beat me to it with Major League (Dave, don't be embarrassed - you're not alone! "The Indians win it, the Indians win in! Oh my God, the Indians win it!")

I agree with many of these - the 'poster' moment (and the following scenes) in Shawshank, Vader's revelation, the end of Suspects, the Superman moment in The Iron Giant, a number of scenes in Braveheart... (no coincidence that these are many of my favourite films)

I'd like to offer one that gave me chills (in a good way) as a kid - you'll never belive - Superman IV! The bit where he addresses the United Nations and says he's going to 'rid the world of all nuclear weapons'!

Laugh all you want...I can take it!

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
HOOSIERS

Jimmy Chitwood, during the timeout with 18 seconds remaining in the championship game and the score tied, is told that he'll be a decoy while a teammate is assigned the final shot. When the teammate, in the team's huddle, gives a look of dismay and eyes Jimmy, Jimmy says, with confidence, "I'll make it."

AJ Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
AJ
Good chills....

Spider-man - the final sequence of Spider-man swinging through the city.

Tombstone - the whole Doc Holiday vs. Johnny Ringo sequence.

Return of the Jedi - Luke finally defeats Vader and has him at his mercy.

Superman - first time Clark becomes Superman and saves Lois.

The Crow - "I see you have made your decision...now let's see you enforce it"

Equilibrium - the final gun-battle, swordfight

Lethal Weapon 4 - Jet Li leaps from the stairs and kicks Riggs/Murtaugh's asses.

Bad chills....

The Hidden - where the little girl can sense the alien has taken over her father. Something about the way she looks at him in the end has always given me chills.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Donald Sutherland being taken over and screaming that terrible high pitched scream at Veronica Cartwright's character to end the movie. It never fails to give me chills.

Event Horizon - Sam Neill's flashbacks of his wife...freaky stuff.

Arno

Auditioning
In L.A. confidential, when Big Jack tells the Lt. about Lolo Tomasi just before he dies....

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
the amount of movies that have been unnecessarily spoiled for me in this thread gives me a chill. also, the opening sequence of contact. simply brilliant. and in pulp fiction, the scene between little butch and captain koons (christopher walken's character). IMO, walken gives the best performance by an actor in any movie i have seen to date.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks