What's new

SCART Question (1 Viewer)

Marc H

Second Unit
I am just reading the owner's manual for Cambridge Audio's new DVD player, the DVD300.

It states the SCART output will generate a superior picture to using component video output (assuming of course the viewscreen has a SCART input). True?

If the viewscreen has SCART input, would this also be superior to using a progressive DVD player to a component input?

JeffreyH

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Marc, I don't have an answer to your question but I am very interested in the DVD300. I'm looking for a new player right now and came across it on your site.

Can you tell me what you think of it?

Do you think Cambridge audio will come out with a cheaper model without the 5.1 decoder?

It's one of the best looking players I've seen that's for sure!

Thanks for any info.

Marc H

Second Unit
I'm impressed with it. Feels heavy and solid (I like that in a DVD player - means it's got a decent power supply).

Nothing I can criticize so far. Seems very well thought out.

I have only played it on CD so far.

Bass dynamics impressed me first. Soundstage was good too. Highs were like all the Cambridge Audio gear; lousy out of the box and nneds thirty six hours to sound proper. One of my colleagues took it home for Christmas to burn in the demo.

We sold out the first batch as of today and zero complaints so far.

I doubt they would bring out a second DVD player but I really don't know.

Can't wait to try the SCART output. All I can find out so far is that it seems to be the connection of choice in Europe.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marc, you don't see SCART inputs, outputs, or SCART cables in North America. As you suggested, SCART is a common connection interface in Europe, and I believe it is used for RGB video output on DVD players. By contrast, progressive-scan video and component video outputs, in general, are less common in Europe than in North America.
Are you saying that the Cambridge Audio DVD players you received have a SCART output? Does it output 110V or 230V? I don't know why a company would provide a SCART output on a 110V component because I don't know how you would use the SCART output on our side of the pond. I know of no components marketed here that have SCART inputs, and I have never seen a SCART video cable for sale here. :confused:

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! A thread related to the Cambridge Audio DVD300. I just ordered one yesterday from the AudioAdvisor, since I live in the U.S. They were sold out of their initial shipment too. The thread starter (above) must be from www.audioshop.on.ca.... a Canadian store.
The following thread (at a different forum) encouraged me to order one...
Link Removed
+ there is mention of the DVD300 in a Pioneer DV440 DVD player review at http://

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Although RGB is generally associated with sharper image quality than Y/Pb/Pr component video, from DVD the picture quality will be at best the same. THe VGA from a computer is RGB with full color resolution. From a DVD the color resolution is half the luminance (Y) resolution for both interlaced and progressive; the component video standard for DVD is just that and RGB constructed from that can at best be the same in terms of resolution.
The DVD player's SCART jack may output, one at a time depending on manual selection or hard wiring, RGB, component video, S-video, or composite video.
I don't have handy the pin-out descriptions for SCART jacks as used on consumer video equipment but custom cables can be ordered with a SCART plug on one end and your choice of S-video plug or (for RGB or component video) a group of RCA plugs or BNC plugs at the other end if the TV needs that.
Other video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks