What's new

Satellites in the Winter (1 Viewer)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Does snow effect the satellite from receiving a signal? I'm about to install a dish and it will not be easily accessible after it's installed. I'm worried about it getting covered in snow during the Winter and loosing the signal.
Is this a problem?

Dan B

Screenwriter
I've had it happen only twice in 7 years. I live in Wisconsin, so I see plenty of snow. Both times, the snow was unusually wet and sticky. Normally, the snow just doesn't stick, because the dish is mounted almost vertically.
EDIT
This is assuming DirecTv or Echostar, I'm not sure what you would be using in Canada, and if the dishes or mounting positions are any different.
-Dan
[Edited last by Dan B on August 31, 2001 at 06:06 PM]

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are heaters that can be installed on the back of your dish to keep the snow melted. I just checked Parts Express (the only place I knew to get them) and it has been discontinued. Happy searching.
-Robert

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
You should have less problems the further north you are, because the angle of the dish should be lower.... that is good because otherwise you'll need a jeep to get on your roof like the commercial (don't know if you have seen it, but it makes me laugh). Anyway, you should be able to go to radioshack maybe and get the heater element for the dish as well (at least in the US it shouldn't be a problem).
Hope that helps!
Jim
------------------
[email protected]
Want to hold up a bank in Latin?
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam."
(I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks