What's new

Satellite "The leaves are on the tree's" Directv and dishnet? (1 Viewer)

Richard_s

Second Unit
Now that it's summer well at least that is what the calender states the leaves are on the trees so I can find out if satellite will work for me.

What is stopping me, other than lack of knowledge of satellite equipment, is the proposed merger between Directv and Dishnet. I know no one can fortel the future but what do all of you expect the outcome will be as far as service and equipment. For me these are the only two choises so if they merge I won't have a choice.

What I am most concerned about is equipment if they merge in that will I be likely to have to get new equipment. Once merged they will now be supplying signals from more satellites where they are different enough in angle to require two dishes if they split their programming between satelites to enable them to have more "bandwidth". Anyone with any insight on this?

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Once merged they will now be supplying signals from more satellites where they are different enough in angle to require two dishes
The majority of the programming right now comes from satellites at three positions.

101 = DirecTV core programming
110 = Dish programming and DirecTV HD
119 = Dish programming and DirecTV HD, Spanish & HD
61.5 = Dish foreign programming, some locals & HD
148 = A mirror of 61.5 for the west coast

A DirecTV 18"x24" dish can receive programming from 101, 110 and 119. That will be enough for most people.

-Robert

Richard_s

Second Unit
Robert:
Thanks it looks like the Dish itself will not be an issue so thats good.
new equipment is needed, it will be provided to you
When I look at getting Directv it seems that I am buying my receiver not "leasing" it so how would they swap out the equipment?
I looked at Circuit City and Best Buy and they both offer only RCA units is this all that is available. Not a problem just want to make sure I get a good unit. Also they have a unit that has Optical Digital output but I can't find anywhere where it states COMPONENT video outputs. Does directv offer component video without having to spent the $ for HDTV?
Thanks ALL :)

StephenL

Second Unit
I don't know of any DirecTV receivers with component video output other than HDTV receivers. If you're getting DirecTV I strongly suggest getting a DirecTV receiver with TiVo.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard of any component video out units either. Be careful on the RCA HD receiver (DTC-100) as it uses VGA out rather than component. Some HD sets have a VGA input, some don't.

RCA does seems to make some pretty good DirecTV receivers.

Why do some cost more? Speed on channel changes, menus, etc (you WILL notice between units). Outputs (esp. the digital audio out). Graphics and features improve (like the DTC remaps the channel numbers for your locals so they are at the numbers you are familiar with (5,6,13, etc). Of course TIVO and HD units are more.

I have several different recievers in the house and the slowest one makes me crazy. But now even decent ones are pretty cheap for the most part.

I believe TIVO and Ultimate TV require extra monthly fees, but I could be wrong on TIVO.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I think all current DirecTV receivers will map the local channels (if available) to their actual 2-digit numbers.

There is just one RCA receiver that has component output. It's the DRD485RG. It also has both coax and optical digital audio output.

But I'd get a DirecTV receiver with TiVo instead.

Regarding the merger: it's not a done deal and in the end it may not happen. (And then Rupert Murdoch will step in and buy DirecTV for a whole lot less than his most recent offer.)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I believe TIVO and Ultimate TV require extra monthly fees, but I could be wrong on TIVO.
UTV has a $10/month fee and Tivo has a $10/month or lifetime $250 (I think) fee. This fee covers ALL UTV's or D-Tivos on the account. (This is different from the stand alone Tivos where you paid a fee per Tivo.) All other DirecTV fees apply also.

-Robert

Richard_s

Second Unit
Please bear with me.

I did a google search on the model DRD485RG and it appears to be readily available so that is good.

The web sites I did find that had these items also carried something called a slave receiver what exactly is that?

Do I need a Dual LNB dish not sure what that is?

A DirecTV 18"x24" dish can receive programming from 101, 110 and 119. That will be enough for most people.
This is from above post. This was recomended since even if dishnet and directv do in fact merge I am likely not going to have to replace the dish I think.

What about the DRD485RG do you think this will have to be replaced at my expense if dishnet and directv merge?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The web sites I did find that had these items also carried something called a slave receiver what exactly is that?
When you buy a system, you sometimes get a better deal with a receiver/dish package. New subscribers get an even better deal. The reciever in this package is activated as the primary receiver. The slave receivers are sold without a dish and are usually more expensive since there are no incentives from the sat companies. These are added to an account and a $5 mirror fee is charged per additional receiver.

My advice is just buy what you want and don't worry about the merger. The merged company doesn't want to alienate 10 million DirecTV or 6 million Dish customers by making them pay for new equipment.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks