What's new

sanyo PLV Z4 vs Panasonic ae700u ?? (1 Viewer)

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody think 1600 hours on a Sanyo plv Z4, would render it on it's last legs , so to speak ??

The original receipt shows less than 6 months old ? The original owner left it on all, day every day.
you see...
I found a deal on a Sanyo Z4, used 1600hrs,,but w/2'nd bulb new. for$1,000.00 delevered. owner says nice, but feels contrast is only 85% of when new ?? and not sure why? He took picks and is trying to be 100% honest.
I was really set on a Z4........but,
I got a second offer for a used panny ae700u, 200hrs, good condition, $900.00 delivered.:confused:

45" x 80" screen.(to buy)...10.5' feet viewing first row seats , second row 4 feet further.
Anyone seen these two ? I heard SDE won't be an issue on either.
verticle lines sometimes an issue on the pannyae700 , but better blacks ?

On a $1,000.00 budget, for DVD's only, upconverted...I have HDTV already..
I thought better 720p used...rather than 480p new, like the H31 Optoma.:confused:

Does a projector performance decline with age even if a new bulb is put in ?
The owner of the Sanyo z4 did say he was so picky, maybe I would'nt even notice, but, had to mention it to me. He bought a 1080p..

Thanks eveyone:D

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I would get the Z4. Slightly better and slightly newer technology, but either one is good. I have a Panasonic PT-L500U and a Sanyo PLV-Z3.

Chris

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Chris.
Does many hours normally effect anything, other than bulb ?
I mean 1600 hours..with brand new bulb , should perform fine ?
I like what I read about the Z4.

Draper Luma vs Da-Lite 92" pull down screen.??
High contrast vs High Gain .??

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Yes, hours of usage does affect the projector but if it has been cleaned regularly and looks good, the Z4 should have enough hours left at 1,600 to make it preferred over an AE700U without a new bulb. You might get another 400 hours or so on the existing bulb. By the time you wear out the second bulb, you are likely going to be near the end of the projector's useful life. A third bulb certainly isn't unusual but my guess is that something newer and better will be desired by then. As far as the screen, there are a number of factors such as ambient light, and viewing angles that would impact that decision. The avsforum section on screens is a good place to visit to get information on that issue.

Of course if you could see the two projectors in person, the decision would be much easier. I don't know about the price for those used projectors so I can't comment on that, but one isn't a clearly better deal than the other based on the prices you have been offered.

Chris

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Chris, Here's the thing I will put the new bulb in as my projector use will be 2 hours per week for 2 years max equals 200 + hours of use total.
That's all I want out of a projector. Just my once a week DVD, viewing.
for the family.
So bulb life is not a concern.
BUT the guy with the Sanyo says the contrast has deminished, just 15% or so in the 1600 hours.
I watch in near blackness, 3 seats front row , so pretty narrow angle.
I don't care about perfect blacks, but rather like bright , vibrant color.
so thinking one of those high gain screens.???

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
Any one think a Sanyo Z4 left on all day for 6 months, to 1600 hours would do damage ? Or are they designed to perform as new , for many hours beyond that ? assuming I put in a new bulb.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

That would be brutal if it wasn't cleaned and kept cool. If it was kept cool and powered down and cleaned according to the recommendations, I believe about every 100 hours, all should be fine, but I would be very skeptical if that is the circumstance for this projector. Of course 24 hours a day for 6 months would be 4,400 hours not 1,600. This would mean the 1,600 hours on the bulb would have to be the second bulb.

Chris

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
No not 24/7 just all day each day. morning to evening.
I don't know about being cool ? but this guy seems really picky about his stuff. He showed me his bill from visualplex. He has the original bulb and the bonus bulb they gave him, , still new.
But he does say, he feels the contrast is not exactly as new, some hint of green in the black.
But he upgraded to 1080p, he is so, so, particular that I don't know how to take his opinion.
Just seems like a deal to be had.
If I go "new" ..to stay in budget, I'll have to go with a Optoma H31. ...I never saw one of those ??
Hate SDE...don't see rainbows... dark room.
92"... seats can't be moved, 10.5 viewing...11 feet if I recline...I mostly do.
hhmmmm....

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

Ok, I have 1,200 hours on a Panasonic 500U and the contrast is still close to when the bulb was new but the gradual decline is difficult to notice. Heat is the enemy and 9 hours a day with proper cleaning and being kept in a cool environment would be what you want in this case. He is certainly correct, these modest LCD projectors contrast ratio is objectionable to the very picky. I am not so pickly and love my projectors. I would certainly choose a 720p projector if you are going to watch any HDTV with it. If only DVD, then a 480p DLP might be worth consideration.

Chris

steveGamble

Stunt Coordinator
OOOhh..really Chris,, because This is for 100% ONLY DVD's movies,, maybe one per week, two if I fall in love with the unit.
I am NOT so picky...BUT NO, SDE, at 10 feet with a 92" diag 78" wide screen
I saw a 480i epson that was unwatchable.
I like rich,,bright,,vibrant color,,...and NO screen door.
But perfect blacks, etc.. contrast?...not as fussy.
I already have a HDTV 61"...Not big enough to keep me out of the theater.
100 inches will I think ?
I do use a panasonic s77s upconverting DVD player with HDMI connection and a Monster power conditioner, to clean that up..So I do appreciate good P.Q. But I don't Think? I am that fussy?

This guy says Z4 blacks are like a green/black. He's not impressed..fussy guy?
His sony HS51A ? something like that? is a Black/Black !

It's all subjective.. My HDTV is a DLP samsung HLR6164..I love it !! amazing!!!!
Just too small.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks