What's new

Panny 900 vs Sanyo z4 for bedroom. (1 Viewer)

Lance_saynever

Auditioning
Hello all.

I drove into the world of projectors a few days ago and have been researching frantically. It all started when we(my class) were showing our video projects in class on the projector(an infocus model, not aware of the model). I thought to myself, i have some extra cash and i think it would be sweet to have a projector hooked up in my room to watch high quality movies and to review my work(i am a computer animation student). I was really set on getting a dlp projector, since i liked the idea that they would most likely last much longer than a LCD. But after reading the reviews from various sources, it doesnt seem to matter as much anymore. I went out yesterday to see if i could find some projectors are display to determine if i was affected by the rainbow effect. After visiting several stores i only managed to see two projectors on display. The first was a low end infocus x1 i think, it was dlp and it looked ok at best. I also saw a nicely setup yamaha at my local tweeter retailer. which again, they had no info on it but the price tag of 4000$ and all of the employees were too busy to help a 19 y/o kid.

So here is my question. I want to setup a projector in my bedroom( i am a commuter so i still live at home). I have an ok size room(10' x 15') and like i said, want to use the projector for quality movie time and for reviewing my work, etc. the way the room is set up, i'd be projecting across the short part, so the projector would be roughly 9 ft from the screen and the audience(me and friends) would be sitting roughly the same distance. I want the largest picture possible and both of these have relatively short throw distances, with the panny claiming to be able to put up a 100in diagonal under 10 ft. After looking at both the panny900 and the sanyoz4, they are very similar except for a few differences. I understand that the 900 projects a softer less sharp image which is suppose to eliminate SDE at the cost of some crispness. It also suppose to have a pretty good bulb life and is advertised as being brighter and adidtionally has a minimum throw distance of 3.9 ft(which is good since it would be placed almost in the middle of the max and min and thus be in ideal postion).

The sanyo on the other hand comes with a 3 year warrenty, which is nice to have considering the rumored limited lifespan of lcd, it was designed to be cleaned easier(i have a higher than average amount of dust in my house), has PQ rivaling higher end DLP projectors(a sharper image than the 900), and from my understanding has the ability to resize sources for constant height display?

Now considering that i will be viewing from about 1 screenwidth(less than recommended) and in a bed room which only can regulate light by blinds(no brick and motar window treatments haha) i was leaning towards the panisonic. But, the z4 would be nice since it is cheaper and has a longer warrenty.

Which one is better for my situation? Remember, i am a college student so these are the most expensize units i am willing to buy(i've saved up the money over the last year working so its not like i have an unlimited budgeet, but i like to be able to get the best i can).

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member

Given your preferences the Panasonic will likely be a better choice due to its Smooth Screen technology. Unless you are sitting 1.3-1.5x screen width the Z4 by all accounts will display screen door which will compromise your viewing experience. In contrast the Panasonic is said to have zero pixel structure at any reasonable (ie. farther then a few inches back) seating distance. Both have received excellent reviews and both have their specific quirks.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Then I'd pick the 900 over almost anything at a few times the price. You're getting into 1080p territory there.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm using my 900 on a 103" screen. I can walk up to the screen and not see a trace of SDE.

-Robert

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I think the 'less sharp' branding of the 900 is hogwash personally.

Very happy with mine's sharpness and ZERO SDE which was a big factor for me.

Sam

Lance_saynever

Auditioning
i know they are running some sort of deal on various websites like projectorpeople.com and various other online suppliers, but does anyone know the cheapest place to pick a 900 up(besides ebay). I've been looking around and the cheapest i have found is the 2199.00 from projector people. Obviously i dont want to buy from somewhere online that has zero reputation to save a few pennies, but the cheaper the better for a college student like myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks