What's new

Questions on the Sanyo plv Z4 projector (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I currently have a Plus He-3100 Piano DLP Projector with about 900 hours on it. I use it only for watching DVD’s, as the cable picture is pretty bad on it. I project on to a wall and surprisingly the picture looks fine to me and every one else who has seen it. The projector is mounted on the ceiling about 15 feet from the wall and produces a 100-inch diagonal picture with the 1.85:1 aspect ratio. It does have an over scan of about 5%. I would like to buy a new projector after the lamp goes, maybe the Sanyo Z4. I do have a few questions about the projector.

I currently have component cables coming out of the ceiling. I'm wondering if I feed a HD signal through them if the picture will look fine or do I need to get HDMI cables?

Will the ceiling mount that I purchased for the Piano work with the Sanyo?

If I produce a 120-inch diagonal picture in the 1.85:1 mode will the picture look OK?

Anyone know what the over scan is on the Sanyo?

I can’t believe the price is less than $1600 and you get a free extra lamp. Is there a new model coming out and that’s why the price is so low and you get the extra lamp?

Thanks,

Roland

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
The component video cables will be fine, assuming the bandwidth is high enough (for 720p, 37 MHz for the entire video signal path, I suggest 100 MHz for the cables) and unless/until big bad Hollywood denies high definition display via analog non-HDCP compliant (including component video) connections.

Not sure about the 'Z4 but I have a 'Z3 and using the horizontal and vertical size adjustments together with the lens zoom I can get overscan to practically zero.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/whyten.htm

David Ruiz

Second Unit
Hi Roland,

I know you posted that message 2 months ago, but I only just found it now. Where can one find the Z4 for only $1600 plus free extra lamp? I've seen the Z4 offered on many online stores but all of them have been for over $1999.99. I'd love to find it for $1600.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Hi David,

I saw the reviews in Projector Central and then clicked on their Prices link. About a dozen dealers displayed, all with a price of $1999.99. But when you click on one of their links and then select the projector to buy, the price is around $1500. Some of them have it for less than $1500. That includes free shipping and no tax.

The extra lamp and screen are a rebate coupon that you have to mail to Sanyo.

I could not use the ceiling mount that I had so, I bought a new one.

I'm sitting about 17 feet from the wall, the projector about 15 feet from the wall. I project on to the wall and I think the HDTV picture looks fantastic. I have'nt measured the projected image but, I'm guessing it's about ten feet wide. DVD's look fine and the digital channels look OK. Very pleased with it.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Being in the video and film biz you get to know all the good (and bad) places to buy pro and consumer gear. I bought my Z4 from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

more specifically ;
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

1449.99 Free shipping, free bulb and free screen (I think I read it ends sometime this month). I'm still waiting for the bulb and screen from Sanyo. B&H is really good as I do buy most of my pro television gear from them.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I paid $1524. Now if I can only figure out why the picture looks great except for the blooming of white in certain scenes, once in a while. The white shirt of one of the announcers in the Giants vs Colts game Sunday night is one example.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Have you tweaked the pj? Brightness and contrast can effect this. Also what are you using for a screen? Also remember that the networks have different compressions and a ton of equipment that the signal goes through before it ends at your house. Signals, compression and a whole list of variables can be a contributing factor of pq.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I don't have a screen. I'm projecting on to a wall painted an off white color. The Piano HE3100 projector that I had before this one, projected a wider image if the DVD was anamorphic. So, I never put up a screen and the picture looked fine. I had that projector for about five years.

I really like the look of the picture from the Sanyo Z4. The colors, detail, etc. are wonderful. I used the Digital Video Essentials DVD to tweak the projector. But after I was done, scenes that are very dark lost all detail. I had to turn up the brightness from -15 to 0 to see the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks