What's new

Pre-Order Santa Fe Trail (Warner Archive Collection) (1940) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I really need to re-watch Rocky Mountain as I came away from my viewing of it thinking it to be the only WB Flynn clunker. Perhaps there's something in it that I missed.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I really need to re-watch Rocky Mountain as I came away from my viewing of it thinking it to be the only WB Flynn clunker. Perhaps there's something in it that I missed.
Perhaps the movie just doesn't appeal to you, it happens with all movies.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Perhaps the movie just doesn't appeal to you, it happens with all movies.
That's possible. For instance, the appeal of All About Eve still eludes me even after several attempts to give the film a fair hearing. It just doesn't appeal to me. That said, I've only seen the Rocky Mountain once, and that was well over ten years so a second viewing would be appropriate. Besides, I have the DVD as a part of the Flynn western set so I might as well get my money's worth out of it.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Now if WB can just get Flynn's best western out on Blu-ray I'll be set.
I love Santa Fe Trail, but part of my excitement is that it’s been mia in a studio release throughout the home video era. Flynn’s best western is that other hallmark of documented historical accuracy They Died with Their Boots On.

Chris55

Agent
Real Name
chris
As regards the movie's historical inaccuracies , I've yet to see a biographical movie or movie based on historical fact, past or present, which is 100% accurate anyway and dare anyone to come up with one that is. Let's face it, with all this realism business, that all movies are really fantasy anyway.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Add me as a fan of "Rocky Mountain" (1950). Never seems to get much appreciation, but I always felt it particularly satisfying. It would probably look great in blu, with that nice, craggy backdrop and the b&w cinematography really popping.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
“It has about everything that a high-priced horse opera should have – hard riding, hard shooting, hard fighting, a bit of hard drinking and Errol Flynn,” proclaims The New York Times . Add costars Olivia de Havilland, Ronald Reagan, Raymond Massey and a somewhat revamped re-creation of American history, and you’re on the Santa Fe Trail. Bright young lieutenants Jeb Stuart (Flynn) and George Armstrong Custer (Reagan) are assigned to Kansas Territory to guard the Santa Fe Trail. There, they clash with the fanatical abolitionist John Brown (Massey). On a more romantic side, they also vie for the hand of ‘Kit Carson’ Holliday (de Havilland). But the pursuit of Brown leads the army to the pivotal battle at Harpers Ferry, Virginia, which strikes the spark that hastens the Civil War. Reuniting Flynn and de Havilland for this seventh of the nine films they appeared in together, the proceedings are scored with the thrilling music of Max Steiner, all under the superb direction of Warner Bros.’ legendary Michael

B&W. 16x9 1.37:1. WITH SIDE MATTES Includes Theatrical Trailer (HD)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks