What's new

Pre-Order Santa Fe Trail (Warner Archive Collection) (1940) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
51dEfJ7FP5L.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This is a pleasant surprise a good Errol Flynn movie that never had a good home video release because of the public domain status. I didn't think they would do this one because of that. Hope they continue the Errol Flynn movies. At least a dozen more I would buy.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Following the lines of Andrew’s first post in this thread, it’s certainly proving to be a good year for Errol Flynn films with Elizabeth and Essex, Objective Burma, and now this. I recall seeing this film in the 5th Grade when my social studies class was studying the Civil War. I don’t remember a whole lot about the film, but I recall liking it so it’ll be nice to revisit this in a quality transfer.

That said, I also hope this leads to more PD films getting the Archive treatment.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was a bigger fan of this movie when I was younger than I am now in my senior years. This movie is on my "100 favorite westerns" list and after watching it again a couple of months ago, I was thinking of replacing it on that list. I'll be purchasing this Blu-ray so another viewing with a much better video and audio presentations might cause me to change my mind despite some misgivings I have about the film.:)

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I was a bigger fan of this movie when I was younger than I am now in my senior years. This movie is on my "100 favorite westerns" list and after watching it again a couple of months ago, I was thinking of replacing it on that list. I'll be purchasing this Blu-ray so another viewing with a much better video and audio presentations might cause me to change my mind despite some misgivings I have about the film.:)

I have the Roan DVD, which probably is the best of the multiple PD versions out there.

As for the film, Maltin's guide captures it succinctly: "Worthless as history, but amid the rubble are some good action scenes." The idea that Jeb Stuart and George Armstrong Custer were classmates at West Point is laughable, considering that they actually graduated seven years apart. Still, the film is enjoyable and I will be getting the Blu-ray.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
It's going to have the same flaws, especially all the historical inaccuracies which irritate me no end, and that ridiculous, meandering script which has nothing to do with the Santa Fe Trail, but it's a big-budget follow-up to "Dodge City", a top of the line Warners Western staring Flynn and directed by Curtiz, with great action sequences (probably by B. Reeves Eason) which I think are superior to those in "Dodge City" and it should look stunning. As far as I'm concerned, an essential purchase if one is interested in classic Warner Brothers or Michael Curtiz.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It's going to have the same flaws, especially all the historical inaccuracies which irritate me no end, and that ridiculous, meandering script which has nothing to do with the Santa Fe Trail, but it's a big-budget follow-up to "Dodge City", a top of the line Warners Western staring Flynn and directed by Curtiz, with great action sequences (probably by B. Reeves Eason) which I think are superior to those in "Dodge City" and it should look stunning. As far as I'm concerned, an essential purchase if one is interested in classic Warner Brothers or Michael Curtiz.
Historical inaccuracies in classic films? Come on. Who are you kidding? Those old studios were totally focused on realism.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Historical inaccuracies in classic films? Come on. Who are you kidding? Those old studios were totally focused on realism.
I don't know. I've tapped those ruby heels together so often, and to no avail.

But in the case of "Santa Fe Trail", those historical inaccuracies aren't only egregious, they make no logical sense, even in the context of a make-believe world, as it's confusing and inept, instead of convincing. so they get in the way of my enjoying the film, and the film's virtues--some of the acting, especially Raymond Massey, Michael Curtiz' brisk direction, Sol Polito's cinematography and the action scenes-- are in spite of the script, and the imaginary world it tries, and utterly fails, to create.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I don't know. I've tapped those ruby heels together so often, and to no avail.

But in the case of "Santa Fe Trail", those historical inaccuracies aren't only egregious, they make no logical sense, even in the context of a make-believe world, as it's confusing and inept, instead of convincing. so they get in the way of my enjoying the film, and the film's virtues--some of the acting, especially Raymond Massey, Michael Curtiz' brisk direction, Sol Polito's cinematography and the action scenes-- are in spite of the script, and the imaginary world it tries, and utterly fails, to create.
I recall reading an essay about The Searchers where the author was complaining that the American Indian artifacts shown were from the wrong tribe. I wasn’t bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks