What's new

Samsung TXM3097WHF...what do you think? (1 Viewer)

Richard_Long

Auditioning
Hello, I am interested in a small to medium direct view 16:9 flat screen television. The Samsung TXM3097WHF set has caught my eye. I believe it is HDTV ready, it has a 16:9 aspect ratio and it is a flat screen.

Does anyone have this set or heard any good or bad things about it? Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate sets with approximately the same price or in the same price range?

Let me know what you guys think. Hit me with any suggestions or advice you can think of.

Richard

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I've detailed everything in the thread I referenced above. Couldn't pass up a 16:9 set with native 720p support for $775, and I'm really glad I went with it. I haven't had HD on it yet (going to try and set up Comcast HD next week), but I picked up a Panasonic DVD XP30 this morning and the picture is the best I've seen (granted, it's "only" 30", but it's ok for me from 6-7' away). Full computer monitor functionality like geometry controls, R/G/B drive, etc., and a VGA port also. Resolution is excellent, but color reproduction seems to be the strong point, really outstanding.
I can try and answer any specific questions you've got.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Richard, I have the Samsung as my bedroom set and find it most satisfactory, especially at the price point. It does not have as good an analogue picture as my 34”Sony, but it is still very good. I don’t have an HD tuner hooked up permanently to the Samsung, but I have checked out the HD picture by moving my HD tuner and it is quite good (again probably not so fine as the Sony)

IIRC there were some negative comments on a visible vertical line about a year ago. I don’t know if this was corrected by the time I bought my set or I was just lucky, but I have not noticed this problem. I did a quick search (but did not spend much time) and could not find any comments similar to the ones which I remembered. But you may have better luck.

I have not seen the set to which Jack refers so I am unable to comment. Caveat Emptor

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
One other thing you get with the Monivision is a two year, on-site warrantee. Helps to temper the caveats a bit.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
It did for me. :) That's the thing with these internet-only deals, there are some real finds thinking outside the Best Buy/Circuit City box, but returns are a b*tch. No way I'd jump without a warrantee like the one it comes with. I might just order another for the living room, my wife actually seems jealous. ;)

Richard_Long

Auditioning
Thanks for all the help guys. Is that Monovision 30" 16:9 set a flat screen? Does anyone have anymore suggestions for a 30"-32" 16:9 screen? Thanks again for all you help guys.

Richard

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Panasonic makes a 30”, 16:9 model. When I looked at it about nine months ago, I though that it had a bit better picture quality than the Samsung. It also cost more. Don’t know the current prices.

Steve Cross

Agent
Hi Richard,
I was in the same boat about a week or two ago, finally
I baught the Samsung TXN3O71WHF, 30" widescreen HDTV ready,
flat screen, at sears for $949, and $79 towards a selection of dvd players, as far as quality i llllove
it so far, (two days) im waiting for a more quiet day here to run Avia, its got 3 picture modes, and 3 sound modes,
all customizable (sp?). the only bad things i've noticed
is it reflects alot of light for being a flat tube, but it
only reflects on light and its florecent, and the only svid input is on the side. here's the link
http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=05742083000

I also looked at a philips at BB, check it out here
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1470

SC

-p.s. if have trouble getting the pdf manual its
http://www.samsungusa.com/SamsungUSA...10/TXN2771.pdf

Nathan_Iruka

Auditioning
The Monovision seemed like an answer to my prayers for a 720p native CRT. But after reading ALL eleven pages of the thread in AVSforum (Link) I found not one mention of artifact removal technology. I plan to purchase a new generation Samsung, though nobody seems to have heard of the new technology the series carries. I'm not one to get pulled over by gimmick technolgy but the absence of any in the Monovision and the price seems to point to a straight PC monitor. After about four years my roommates 19" Optiquest monitor is wavering as if the refresh rate is slowly dying. With only two years on the warranty for the Monovision I wonder what the long term aging effects will be on this seemingly good deal. Not to mention the artifact issues (ghost pixels, green band on left side, metal fragments in tube, line waver and touchy on power sources) mentioned in the thread on AVSforum. For the most part these are isolated occurances-it still does not bode well for manufacturing integrity.

I can get a Samsung TXN3098WHF 30" 16:9 tv at Tweeters for about 1600, five year warranty included in the price. If nothing presents itself by next week that's exactly what I'm going to buy. Can anybody proove a better set for price and quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks