What's new

Samsung TV vs Bose (1 Viewer)

StavrosRilling

Auditioning
Real Name
Stavros Rilling
Hello everybody, I've hit a rut while tempting to install my new external speakers... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
So this is the basic setup:
-TV: Samsung led tv, model number un40eh5000f
-External speakers: Bose Cinemate II
-Cable receiver (Videotron here in Quebec)
-PS3
As the Bose manual puts it (and where my problem is), the tv only has an optical out (no red and white outs). So I have the optical cable going from the optical out into the optical in on the Bose receiver. That setup does not work. The tv settings should all be ok, I checked the manual and talked with two technicians.
I have tried taking the optical out from the PS3 directly into the optical in on the Bose receiver, doesn't work. The PS3 settings should also be ok. There are no red and white outs on the PS3.
I also tried taking the optical out of the cable box directly, doesn't work.
The only thing that has worked: red and white outs of the cable box directly to the Bose receiver.
So my conclusion is that the Bose system works properly. I also believe the optical cable is ok because a red light shows a its exit.
I seem to understand that the TV cannot serve as a go through for multiple systems into the Bose receiver... Either some anti piracy story or other depending on the forums I've looked at... In any case, I just want the system to work... So what do I do now? I'm not satisfied because the PS3 (acting as dvd and bluray player) doesn't work on the Bose system at all. Even if it did work directly from the PS3 to the Bose receiver, every time I wanted to change the source, I would have to move everything and change the cabling...
Is the only solution to bring back the Bose system and buy one that has a full receiver? As in a receiver that receives the full system from the source (image and sound) and then dispatches the sound to the speakers and the image to the tv?
I must add that I'm a beginner, simple words would be much appreciated...
Thanks guys, much appreciated, happy holidays, cheers!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My guesses...
1. The Bose Cinemate you bought is broken...cause the optical isn't functioning...or
2. You haven't read the manual to know how to change the input on the Cinemate...or
3. Highly possible, you haven't set any of your sources for PCM downmix. (if this step, in all three sources, TV/PS3/STB...it should take you a combined 90 seconds to get all of them set 2.0 PCM downmix)

StavrosRilling

Auditioning
Real Name
Stavros Rilling
Hey! Thanks for the reply.
1. It's entirely possible... I know the speakers work... But I cannot verify the optical input... I want to do whatever I can before bringing it back, hopefully they won't give me a hard time...
2. I've read through the manual. There seems to be nothing to change in regard to the actual Bose system settings, including the input.
3. I have done it on the TV and PS3, not the cable though honestly (haven't checked if I can). I have a question here though. On the TV the only format available is PCM. The Bose manual talks about PCM 2 or Dolby digital. On the TV, I only have PCM and I cannot select dolby digital. Can this be a problem?
Thanks again!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I read the manual for the B-CM2 as well and it looks that you simply connect a toslink and it just overrides the analog...
Do you have a CD player, or anything else with an optical? Even a standard DVD player will work.
It appears, since you actually knew what I meant by PCM that you've moved those setting around from DD/PCM and it has made no difference...
I would return it to Bose and get another one. It isn't like this never happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks