What's new

samsung hlr5078w (1 Viewer)

Mightymilk

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Mundt
my step dad wanted me to check on this dlp he saw in the store that is on sale to make way for the new models he told me. i just dont have the time t his week to go check it out, but i figured i could get some honest advice here. appearently there aren't many left in stock, so thats why i was hoping for some quick responses

he's not looking to spend a ton of money, but sports will be his main HD programming, so is this set a good choice? or are there any other sets in this price range that would be a good choice? basically were looking for best bang for the buck.

thanks.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Awesome picture judging from the display model they had at Fry's. I should be getting mine tomorrow, HL-R6168W which is the 61" model. It came to $2540 shipped from an authorized dealer so I would say it's pretty good in the bang-for-the-buck department for a 61" 1080p DLP.

If you get a good price, go for it.

Adam_R

Second Unit
Just understand this:

That TV cannot accept 1080p input through HDMI even though it displays it.

The new 87 series from Samsung does accept and display 1080p.

Most current 1080p TVs DO NOT accept a 1080p signal. They just upconvert to 1080p.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Isn't the word out there that there is hardly any visible difference between 1080i and 1080p source displayed in 1080p? 1080p has double the bitrate but like our ears, our eyes have limits.

Adam_R

Second Unit
The difference is in the smoothness of fast moving images.

Progressive will always look better than interlaced in this way.

You may be referring to the idea that you can see the difference between 720 and 1080 after a certain distance.

I find it hard to believe that you can't notice a difference with over twice as many pixels on screen, but hey, I'm probably and idiot.

Also, I'd hate to pay for a TV that displays 1080p, but can't accept it. It would just feel wrong to me. Upconversion of lesser signals is nice, but the ACTUAL resolution is better in my mind.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
There will be exactly the same amount of pixels on the screen as the set is 1080p and will deinterlace it, just like all DVD material is 480i. Yes, you have more data in 1080p source and it, in theory, should make fast moving picture better. It just is that those who have seen both seem to think the difference is very,very little. I'll have to dig up some of the stuff I have previously read.

Oh, I think the Samsung will accept true 1080p signal coming from the PC connection. In any case, HD-DVD and HD broadcast looks fantastic on my HL-R6168W that I received yesterday. The only problem was to get the box through my bedroom doorway. If it gets any better than this, it's only a plus as I can certainly live with 1080i source going into a 1080p set... :)

Adam_R

Second Unit
Glad you like it. I also agree that the difference is minimal between 1080i being deinterlaced and true 1080p. I do, however think there is a big difference between 720p and 1080p. To my eyes at least. That's what I was referring to in my last post. Not 1080i vs. 1080p.

I am in no way trying to say it's not a great set and doesn't look amazing. I am merely stating facts that are sometimes very unclear in todays market full of HD this and HD that. If I bought a TV that said 1080p on it and didn't realize that it couldn't actually accept a 1080p signal, I'd be mighty pissed. Just my opinion.

:)

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
There definately is a huge difference between 720p (my projector) and 1080p (my TV), some of it is related to the sets and their quality but you can tell a lot is due to the resolution difference. I see your point with the 1080p sets but since they do display 1080p it's not really mismarketing either. I haven't verified it 100% but the VGA connection does accept 1080p signal. Right now there aren't any players outputting 1080p either (Toshiba HD-DVD is a 1080i player) and it might be another year before the first 1080p player comes out.

Adam_R

Second Unit
^ There's a 1080p BluRay player coming out November 11th for $599.

Oh yeah, it also has a 60GB HDD and plays video games and connects to the internet.

It's called Playstation 3. :)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi guys

Sounds like you guys are obsessing over the numbers. It is the bandwidth at a certain number that makes more of a difference then the actual scan rate.

Please also remember that on a list of things that are important to imaging, the resolution falls at # 4 behind: Contrast ratio / Dynamic range, color palette/ saturation, accurate colors / colorimetry, then lastly resolution.

Meaning: you could have a display that will natively accept a 1080p signal and it might still look like crap if it has poor color accuracy or limited dynamic range.

FWIW,

Gregg

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Bandwidth meaning compression ratio I assume. I agree, as I do about the other things you mentioned. But I do think 1080p looks much better than 720p even considering the quality difference between my two sets. I have a feeling I will be watching most of my movies in the bedroom instead of the HT room, at least until I get Sony's Ruby or 9" CRT in the HT room.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hehe...but my point....

if you are going to obsess, obsess over something a little bit more important, like contrast ratio, color accuracy, and colorimetry. Which are things that can be adjusted / maximized / corrected on the Samsungs.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
10000:1 contrast ratio, colours do look very good on it. Only things that do bother me a little are black levels and shadow details, which aren't really that bad honestly. Those not used to CRT PQ would propably not even notice.

Out of the models I saw Samsung was my choice and after having it a few days I can't say I am disappointed.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
how do you know you have a 10k -1 ratio? or good colors?
If you have bad looking blacks or shade level detail issues, something is not at it maximal point of performance.
This set is capable something very close to imaging perfection...but like all devices needs some help along the way.

Adam_R

Second Unit

It says so in the brochure!

:D

lol!

j/k

BTW - I am about to bust! My HL-S5687W arrives tomorrow!!! AAAAUGHHHHH!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.