What's new

Samsung dilemma... (1 Viewer)

Blwalsh1

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Hi all

First time poster here. Great site btw ! We finally bought a flat screen tv to replace our 48" Mitsubishi rptv. On 12/17/07 we bought a Samsung 4661F from CC and on 1/07/08 we brought it back to CC because of a black line that ran the length of the screen vertically which I believe was a row of dead pixels. We decided to replace it with another 4661F because we really liked the set. On 2/06/08 I noticed a bunch of stuck pixels in the lower right quadrant that resembled a circle of colors with a couple of vertical bars(all different colors).

This was too much to believe ! Two tv's, exactly the same model, both having pixel problems within 6 weeks of each other. Considering the fact that the 30 day return window at CC was about to expire, we ran right down to CC with the 2nd Samsung and returned it. This time we opted not to go for another 4661F or another Samsung for that matter.

The guy at CC recommended the Sony KDL46V2500. We got a great deal on the Samsung's originally(1499.00). The Sony ended costing $100 more(1599.00). Still a great deal.

The problem we now face is that neither my wife or I like the picture on the Sony at all. We and everyone else who saw the HD feed on the Samsung were blown away at the vivid color, brightness of the picture and the sharp crisp images. The Sony isn't even close to the Samsung.

We have set them both up using HDMI from the cable box and 'out of the box' settings. I have messed with the Sony settings and can't get it to look any better. We are considering returning it back to CC and getting either another 4661F or maybe upgrading to the 4665F which is on sale.

Are we nuts for going back to the same Samsung that we had problems with twice ? Or should we look at another option in the same price range ? We can't dish out much more money.

We appreciate any feedback on this.

Thanks

Bill

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Have you tried to calibrate the TV with a test disc like AVIa, Digital Video Essentials, or even the THX optimode stuff found on any THX dvd?

You need to figure out what your goal is. Is it to actually get the tv image calibrated to a known standard so that the images look as accurate as possible ... or are you just trying to get the picture to look good to you ... what ever that subjectively means?

What looks good to one person is awful to another. Hard to know what you want without looking at the world through your eyes.

If you want accuracy ... the cinema mode on the TV is normally closer to it than the standard and VIVID modes. Color temp to Warm 2. (Ball park only ... )

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks