What's new

Samsung BD-P1600 has stopped playing Blu-Ray since firmware update (1 Viewer)

PaladinSB

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I have a Samsung BD-P1600 player. Tonight I tried playing some Blu-Ray movies (Predator, Pirates of the Caribbean 1 and The Dark Knight). All of them try to load and are ejected with a message that the disc is incompatible. DVD's played fine. This is the first time I've tried a Blu-Ray in a few weeks, but I have been able to watch before. I notice a new firmware update came out on 10/31, and this is the first time I've tried to watch since then at least.

Anyone else have a problem with this player since the update, or any problems getting Blu-Rays to play at all? (I read about similar symptoms with a faulty drive in some Panasonic players).

PaladinSB

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
It's been a week since my first post and no responses? I have tried updating the firmware via an ISO cd. The process completed successfully, but the player still will not play Blu-ray movies. I have now also tried Monsters Inc and Up!, both brand new discs. Would others who have this player please post whether or not you are having problems since upgrading to the 2.05 firmware.

Also, I have it connected to my TV (which has only component inputs) via an HDMI-to-Component cable. It's worked fine until now, but maybe the latest firmware has made the HDMI port more restrictive?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by PaladinSB

It's been a week since my first post and no responses?

The problem may be that this was posted in the wrong area. Blu-ray players are discussed in HT Hardware - High Definition. I'll move this thread there now.

PaladinSB

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Michael. It was my first post here and I wasn't sure where it belonged.

I tried it tonight with a brand new Monster HDMI-to-DVI cable and Monsters, Inc. The disc tried to play, but the image was very heavily garbled, which is actually a slight improvement over "this disc cannot be played". Still no idea if it is a fault with the player, the Blu-ray drive itself or something to do with the copy protection, though. Will call tech support tomorrow now that I've at least eliminated the HDMI-to-component cable as the culprit.

Still hoping someone else with a BD-P1600 will post whether or not this latest firmware update has affected their Blu-ray playback.

travvv

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis
I just got the Blu-Ray disc player. I have the exact same problem. It will just say Load on the blu-ray disc player then eject the disc. I haven't updated anything though, maybe that's what I will try.

I also can play DVDs but not Blu-Rays that I just rented (Star Trek, Paper Heart)

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
For this kind of information, I feel you're much better off going to AVS Forum. They have a dedicated owners thread for most players. Here's the one for the Samsung 1600:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1124702

I love HTF for movie and disc information, but (IMO) AVS Forum is much better for hardware info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks