What's new

Samsung 30" CRT HDTV Ready ... Any advice? (1 Viewer)

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Looking to pick up one of these new units from Samsung. Want to go widescreen on my next set and the fact that it is HDTV upgradeable is a plus ... also the less than $1000 price is also a factor.

The 30" size is more than enough for me as my seating position is about 6' from the screen.

Anyone have any experience with these sets, picture quality and other features? Also reliability?

Any reviews on the web?

Or would it be wiser to go for the same size Panasonic for $400 more?

Thanks in advance ...

JohnBMarsz

Auditioning
I have one of these TV 3096WHF, and it's not a bad TV, but you will need to get it calibrated. A lot of people complained about getting the TV out of the box, and not looking correctly until they had that done. I haven't yet, and I should, but I'm broke. :frowning: Overall, they're worth the money.
John

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I own a 30” Samsung as well and have found it a good value. When I did a comparison with the Panasonic, I did think that the Panasonic had a better picture.

I’d go and make a comparison in the showroom. If you can go on a slow day, you may be able to put both sets on something other than ‘torch’ modes, which will help in your evaluation.

The Samsung only has one S-Video input and that is on the side, not the rear. On the other hand it does have two sets of component inputs, so you may not care.

To John’s point on calibration, I’d recommend the purchase of a calibration disk. They are not particularly expensive, and will allow you to easily put your color and picture to more accurate settings. They are also helpful for configuring audio.

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the tips guys ...

I finally found some reviews on the net and have found that the main complaint has been that for Broadcast TV the set is not that great. On the other hand DVD's and HDTV broadcasts are phenomenal.

I do watch quite a lot of regular TV and this would be a concern.

Any truth to this?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Actually, Aurel, broadcast television often looks worse when the TV/monitor's performance capabilities improve. The more revealing the set, the more revealing it is of flaws in the program source. I say get the Samsung and be happy. And invest in an HD tune sometime soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks