What's new

new to satellite HD, need some help/info please.. (1 Viewer)

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
hello again all...here is the situation:
we have DirecTV, standard def satellite...some channels that shouldnt (i.e. Fox, NBC) look atrocious...it's not the TV, as dvd looks fine (it's an older Samsung HDTV, CRT 30") & I suspect that it is the fact that I have to use S-Video as that is the highest quality output my old receiver has...my first question is this; am I mistaken about this? will getting a new HD receiver / using component cables make standard def channels look better(keeping in mind we are not ready to go hi-def w/ directv yet, as the lack of available channels does not justify the cost)? theoretically, shouldnt they look just as good as a non-progressive scan dvd (they definitely do not at this point)? will the switch to component cables alone make the difference I think they might?
second question: if I do decide to get an HD receiver, will it work with my standard dish? (keep in mind I realize that we will not get hi-def programming, see above) at this point i am only concerned with getting a better image w/ standard def channels...i just need to know if my existing dish will work for now (we will eventually take the hi def plunge / oval dish im sure :)
thanks in advance for any advice!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Probably will look better with a newer HD box, connected by DVI, HDMI, or Component Video.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Depending on your location, you could add the appropriate antenna and get your locals in HD. Also, depending on your location, you may be eligible to get the national network feeds for no addional cost. For example, I get the local Fox station in standard def over the satellite, I get the local Fox station in HD via a $5 antenna and I get the NY Fox feed in HD over satellite.

-Robert

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
ah, Robert, thank you VERY much for the help, just what I was looking for! sad news , though... I also did indeed fear that compression was part of the problem with the channels looking so bad...what a shame
sadly, my location probably would not allow for anything resembling decent reception of an OTA HD signal...i checked a while back on the website that tells you what antenna you should get & we were pretty much in the "hopeless unless you build a giant tower antenna" area, hehe
regardless of all this, I suppose it wouldnt HURT to get an HD receiver, we will be going hi def eventually, & the wife REALLY wants TIVO badly...i may as well get something reasonably future-proofed i suppose...plus having a digital optical/coax audio connection to the receiver would be nice too...do you know if my sound would be appreciably improved at all w/ the situations I listed previously (standard RCA stereo plugs are what I am using now)?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
AntennaWeb is not a very optimistic site. A lot of people are shown that they are out of range but get good reception with a $50 antenna mounted near their dish. That doesn't mean you will but don't count out OTA yet.

The HD DirecTivo is a GREAT reciever. I wouldn't use any other DirecTV receiver. It's days are numbered. DirecTV has ended their contract with Tivo and there will be no new DirecTivo hardware and probably no software updates for the existing hardware. For standard def DVR's, DirecTV has already released the R15 which uses an interface from NDS (another NewsCorp company). There are still some R10's (DirecTivo v2.5) and HDVR2s (DirecTivos v2.0) in the pipeline but their supplies are running out quickly. The HR10-250 (HD DirecTivo) is stuck on software version 3.x with no upgrade in sight. Also, it is not compatible with the new MPEG4 local HD channels that D* is rolling out to the major ciites. It's fine with me since I get my local HD via antenna. When D* starts to move the national HD channels (like ESPN HD) to MPEG4, then I will re-evaluate my standing with D* and probably go with cablecard Tivo. I have at least a year before that happens so I'm going to enjoy my DirecTivos while I can.

-Robert

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm...sounds like I should perhaps wait a few months - seems to be some major changes occuring...there is certainly no hurry now that you have let me know I won't be getting any pic quality changes :)

Users who are viewing this thread