What's new

Samson S700 that powers my SVS is dead... HELP!!! (1 Viewer)

Trevor H

Second Unit
A few weeks ago I was watching TV (nothing bass heavy, just the news) when I noticed that the light on my Samson that drives my 2 SVS 20-39 CS's was not on. I checked and the power switch on the front was on, so I looked at the back and the reset button was tripped so I turned the power to off and reset the back and turned the power back on, when I did this the amp started to make snapping and popping sounds and a puff of smoke came out of it. I quickly unplugged it and took the top off to see what had blown. The two thermistors were completely fried, so bad that I can't get the numbers off them.
I took the amp to a few local repair shops but none of them can fix it because they can't get a schematic for it so they don't know what size thermistors it needs.
I know this is a long shot but would any of you know or be willing to peek in your S700 and get me the numbers I need? I have emailed Samson several times about this and they never respond.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Trevor H

Second Unit
Thanks Brian but I'm pretty sure they would be different. SVS Tom is looking into it so I'm sure he'll find out for me.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Wow, that bites. A decent pro amp powering a couple of home subs should last like a hundred years. I guess that’s why the Samson’s are priced so low. :frowning:

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John S

Senior HTF Member
In pro audio, I gave up on Samson's......

I have never gotten over some of the troubles they caused me in general. QSC sort of became my amp of choice there towards the end of my "Band" days.

You can run those babies to 2 ohms extremely hard, better wire back to the breaker pannel though if you do that using them for low frequency duties. They draw enough to weld stuff. :)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I hear ya.. I'll bet you don't have a lot of love for Behringer, Alesis power amps, and some few other budget priced pro level gear as well.

Still, running a home sub that Samson amp should be able to run for decades.

If you can't get it fixed, I recommend looking at Crown stuff. Kind of pricey, but they sound good and last forever. The DC300A powering my infinite baffle sub is at least 30 years old and going strong.

....well at least one channel of it is still going strong... ;) But that's all I need.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks