What's new

Samson Amps (1 Viewer)

Niti

Grip
Need some opinions: Are the Samson amps quality amps? How dependable are they and would they last a while? Looking at their S series. Looking at spending around $300-400 on an amp. Thanks!!!:)

John S

Senior HTF Member
In my experience, they all hiss when the gain is turned up loud, and that alone has always made me question their S/N specs they state on them. I'm just not a big fan of them myself. No good quality amp should hiss when the gain is turned up with no input. In my opinion as always.

Niti

Grip
What do you recommend in the 300 - 400 range? It could be used, but in excellent shape also...

Eric Chong

Grip
For what you pay for Samson amps - they are a pretty good deal in terms of watts per channel IMHO. Many use them to power their subs where the hiss is not so much of a factor among other things. As with many pro amps they have fans but I find them very quiet. Because they are a pro amp (lower end of the scale though) they do have some neat features such as running in parallel mode (one input, identical output to both channels) which is very handy for powering dual subs. Just remember that being a pro amp it only has XLR and TRS connections so if you pre/pro or receiver does not have these then you will need a conversion plug or cable from the RCA connection. They also do not have 12V triggers.

What do you plan to use the amp(s) for?

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
Look to ebay, and search for Crown's XLS series, XLS 402 or XLS 602 will come in under budget. There is a huge thread on them over on AVS, and for good reason they are the budget amp to beat pro or consumer. Yep, you have to do something about the fans, but once that is taken care of, boy do they belt out clean sound.

Niti

Grip
On Ebay they are showing the XLS 402 and 602 B amps. I see on an internet site that they are selling the 602 A amp. What't the difference? Looks like there is a difference of 200.00. A amp being the more expensive one. My apologies, but I am unfamiliar with the different classes. Which is the best class? I would like to purchase an amp to power a pair of Jamo speakers that are power hungry and rated 4 ohms. Thanks!!!:)

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
XLS A and B are the same design, the only difference is the B has two speakon outs vs one on the A version. You won't use those outs anyways, so buy the cheaper of the two. BTW, they also have binding posts and that is what you will use for outs. Read the thread over on AVS as everything you want to know about the Crown amps is there. And like I said, you need to do something about the fans as they are loud, but once that is taken care of you will have a rock'n amp for sure.

I have been using the sx1800 to power my transducers.

Rated at 400wpc (8 ohms), 600wpc (4 ohms), 900wpc (2 ohms), they are turned to full power without any audible hiss. Of course the slight fan cooling noise may be masking any hiss. I control power with preamp volume control.

There is circuit breaker on back to reset in case of overload, but my amp never even gets warm with red clipping lights staying on for extended periods. (Of course, my transducers did not like this so I now run the amp to just under peak clipping lights.

Available for $350 new or $290 B stock from (I purchased new with excellent service)

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SAMSX1800

I'd buy it again.

Shelly

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks