What's new

Sammy LCD model numbers explained (1 Viewer)

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Can anyone clue me in to making sense of the Samsung LCD models?

They have no fewer than three 46" models than all begin with LN-T*****
They also have at least three 46" models that begin with LN-S*****

What's up? I can't make heads or tails out of this stuff. Is there a chart somewhere? The difference I can see so far in the different T models is contrast ratio. Not sure about the S models.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Aren't the LN-S numbers the previous line models? And the new models are the LN-T. However, it's not like the LN-T4061 replaced the LN-S4061 -- numbers ARE all over the place.

It IS confusing, but the following I know:

The LN-Txx61 line has a matte screen, 10000:1 contrast ratio and 16 bit processor and bottom speakers.

the LN-Txx65 line has a glossy screen, 15000:1 contrast ratio and 10 bit processor and side speakers.

I purchased the 4061F about 10 days ago and am still doing a lot of tweaking. It really seems to be a keeper, though! :)

Crutchfield's site has a pretty good comparison feature that lets you check off the models of interest to compare. Here's the Samsung list:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-y8idqKO...rand%7CSamsung

It pulls up quite a nice list of specs and features, from inputs/outputs, size, native resolution, QAM tuner or not, etc.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have been looking at the LN-T5265F which Amazon has for about $3,200 instead of the $4,300 that Best Buy charges. Father John if you get a chance to see one of these new sets you are going to be blown away by the level of black and how the colors jump off the screen. These new sets pretty much blow away anything else out there in a flat panel monitor.

Elizabeth:

Congrats on your new set. I know you are going to love it.

Parker

Father John A

Stunt Coordinator
Elizabeth,

Thanks for the heads up, it's a start.

Parker,

I haven't seen the new sets but I am now thoroughly in the LCD camp. I simply can't see getting anything else. Regardless of the few minor plusses of plasma, LCD is blowing everything away. My biggest gripe just 3-4 months ago was motion artifacts, which I'm not seeing in any of the new sets (this had previously nixed LCD for me). Plus the prices are falling precipitously fast.

I can feel a new set finally coming. Sam's has the Vizio 46" 1080p for $1699, I can imagine the big names will be dropping into that range soon.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thanks, Parker! :) It is quite an eye-opener coming from a 27" CRT! Although I must say that JVC gave me no problems whatsoever and is now in my other room.

I'm not sure I would feel comfortable going the non-B&M route for return purposes, but the point is pretty moot in Hawaii since most companies will not ship large TVs here. I'm very envious of the great price Amazon had on the 4061 last I looked -- almost $500 cheaper than what I paid. I couldn't even finagle free delivery from Circuit City. :frowning:

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Elizabeth:

Have you tried using the HDMI inputs yet? I have an HTPC that has DVI out that I would like to plug into the HDMI inputs but have heard there are some issues with HDMI handshaking.

Parker

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Parker, I received my Oppo 981 and am using the HDMI input. So far, I have watched 2 complete films with no problems whatsoever. I don't have a cable box, and do not plan to connect the PC -- these and the PS3 seem to be the components giving people handshaking issues, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks