Safe Computing?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by John Watson, Dec 1, 2003.

1. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Is there such a thing as Safe Computing?

National don't call lists, some jurisdictions making spam email illegal, and yet conning people to permit downloads of spyware, and outright high-jacking doesn't seem to be illegal. (I assume most of this stuff that rots people's computers comes from clicking something, after you have read "Terms of Reference." LOL)

I must admit that the number of cases that I read of in which this or that Spybot or Adaware or whatever doesn't help someone who has lost control of their own computer is discouraging. The vast majority of home users couldn't go to Registry to save our souls.

Can technology or legislation do anything serious to save us from this plague. Is Bill Gates' Safe Computing thrust anything but, hehe, Window Dressing [​IMG]

2. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Why should anyone pass a law saying what you or I should be able to install onto our PC's? Afterall its my click that initiates the problems. I'd rather let myself decide, good or bad, what happens with my PC. If I screw it up, so be it, my problem.

Its all about personal responsibility. People don't want to admit that they really shouldn't have installed that software or really shouldn't have opened that attachment from someone they don't know or weren't expecting. Some people just deserve to have their computers taken away from them.

Its not Gates' fault, its not Windows' fault, its not even the virus writers fault. It's the users fault.

3. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

As to leaving the average consumer at the mercy of the scumware trojan termites, should we give candy to babies too? [​IMG]

Seriously, implicit consent to things that will screw up your computer, especially when it's buried in tiny print that you have to scroll thru for minutes, seems to vitiate terms of fair dealing.

Bill Gates has actually launched some sort of campaign, with bounties on virus makers, tho I wonder if the complex MS Op System, with too much focus on speed in the performance of tasks, at the expense of time for considering whether I really want to do whatever ill-defined issue it is the computer is asking me to decide on ?

4. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

5. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

A lot in your post Gordon, and I think your problem with my first sentence quoted is that there is too much in it too. Basically, I'm finding it bizarre that Gates shifts focus to the virus writers, rather than carefully testing his software, or in trying to educate the public to the advantages of a less fast and "integrated" Operating System.

I think we're becoming quite dependent on home computers, and that they should be a lot more stable and reliable. Instead, pc's rush on to greater complexity, and purported functionality and versatility, at the expense of user control. Kind of like building on sand. [​IMG]

Among the rest of your observations, I certainly identify with the phrase "the necessary tools .. are available...but " are hard to set up or understand.

I admit "the public" may buy the promised candy of instant
    gratification and ease of sending live videos to the granparents online, but the truth is many are sitting at home with virus clogged and unstable boxes that don't do a 10th of what's glibly promised.

6. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

7. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

oh switching this or that won't solve anything, once it becomes popular enough it will become the target of attacks and it will lose all of it's "security appeal"

I too am against laws being initiated against a lot of this. Though my basis is that current legislators are still too ignorant of current technology to make adequate laws. The current DCMA is great proof of this, it has been nothing but trouble.