What's new

SACD Reccomendations (1 Viewer)

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
I just ordered a SACD player (Sony C222ES) and am looking for some software recomendations. What do you guys think? I am definetly picking up:

Nora Jones
Alison Krauss Live
DSOTM

What else do you guys recommend? I like jazz, classical, & bluegrass.

What do you recommend for multichannel discs? My rear soundstage isn't so good so I would probably be more interested in "audience" type mixes rather than "on the stage" type mixes.

Thanks!

Mark

Steve_AS

Second Unit
A classical must-get is Carlos Kleiber/Berlin Philharmonic Beethoven 5 & 7th symphonies - classic performances, brought newly to life with SACD surround ambience. Very much a 'best seat in the audience' mix.

H

Hank

These are multi-channel:

Bucky Pizzarelli Swing Live - You will believe you are in a NYC jazz club. Stupendous!!!

Dave Brubeck Time Out
Miles Davis Kind Of Blue

I also 2nd the Kleiber Beethoven 5th & 7th!

KrisM

Second Unit
Channel Classics has a great sampler disc that is very cheap. I paid about $9CDN for it, and it has some solid performances on it . I bought Vivaldi's La Stravaganza by Rachel Podger and a Pieter Wispelwey disc(C. Saint Saens) that were both featured on the sampler. Both discs are excellent and are worth picking up. I also plan on picking up Wispelwey's Benjamin Britton disc.
As far as jazz goes I would recommend John Coltrane's A Love Supreme. I have also enjoyed alot of the Sony jazz titles, even though they are expensive in my area. Charles Mingus-Mingus Ah Um and Monk's Straight, No Chaser give me alot of enjoyment.

Regards
KrisM

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Having heard the Kleiber SACD on various systems, I find the sound quality to be only slightly better than previous CD and LP incarnations, which were always so-so - DG's recordings tend to be average, they could never touch EMI and Decca ones. To make matters worse, DG did not go back to the master tapes when making the SACD, but instead used old PCM masters. Just about any Sony SACD of a recording from the analog era sounds significantly better than this SACD, and other DG SACDs from this era, even ones that were recorded pre-1960.

Anyway, I'd recommend any Sony SACD featuring George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
KrisM,

I have not heard the SACD. I'm familiar with the recording. It doesn't do much for me, but then again neither does most of Vivaldi's music (though I do like some of Andrew Manze's recent recordings of the violin concertos and sonatas). I'm sure the sonics are quite good. Sony tends to do the best remastering jobs.

KrisM

Second Unit
Thanks, Seth. I am new to the classical genre, and have enjoyed the Vivaldi I have heard so far. I may pick it up if I can find a decent price on it.

Regards
KrisM

Steve_AS

Second Unit
Having heard the Kleiber SACD on various systems, I find the sound quality to be only slightly better than previous CD and LP incarnations, which were always so-so - DG's recordings tend to be average, they could never touch EMI and Decca ones. To make matters worse, DG did not go back to the master tapes when making the SACD, but instead used old PCM masters.
You are of course referring to the SACD stereo version, whereas to me, that's pretty much made obsolete by the SACD surround version, which presumably was remixed from the original multitracks.

Then again, I'm not someone who automatically turns up his nose at 'old PCM masters'.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
A couple goodies from Universal

John Coltrane A Love Supreme
Diana Krall The Look of Love

From Sony if you are into fusion

Herbie Hancock Headhunters
Miles Davis In a Silent Way

J

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Bluegrass : Nickel Creek's two releases and member Chris Thile's album ALL WHO WAUNDER ARE NOT LOST, and Jerry Douglas' Sugarhill album... the title of which I cannot remember at the moment and I'm not home to run and see. Just buy the whole Sugarhill catalog so far and you'll get Dolly Parton too. Jorma Kaukonen's BLUE COUNTRY HEART is one of the better recorded SACD's out and a great performance too.

Jazz: Manfredo Fest's JUST JOBIM, Will and Rainbow (includes Phoebe Snow on 3 vocals). Take a close look at everything on the Groove Note label. Every one of their releases that I've heard is a winner. Jacintha's new album JACINTHA IS HER NAME is just one of their winners. Anthony Wilson Trio's OUR GANG is another Groove Note triumph.

For jazz, I'd take a long hard look at the better labels...DMP, Telarc, Analogue Productions, Chesky, Eighty Eight's, Heads Up (get both the Spyro Gyra albums, muy bueno! cultura maximoso!!!!), and Groove Note. These labels feature quite alot of stuff recorded on DSD recorders...well, maybe not Analogue Productions but they have some great old stuff.

The Universal releases are collectively OK, but are all old stuff...no new stuff recorded in DSD.

Wellcum tu SDAC! :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Today I picked up my first SACD by Concord- Tito Puente, at Best Buy no less! That was a nice surprise for me.

I'll let you guys know how it is after I listen to both tracks.

I also found Buddy Rich's SACD there. Not bad for Best Buy.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Here are two recommendations based on recent listening:

Classical Rainbow Body on Telarc - The Atlanta Symphony plays Aaron Copland, need I say more. The ASO is very well regarded on its Copland. The sonics are spectacular with pure DSD throughout-individuals instruments solid and pure tonality.

Jazz Four Generations of Miles on Chesky - beautiful tribute to Miles, great sonic ambience.

I agree with Rachael-the Sugar Hill releases are very good and Dolly Parton is doing some of her best work lately. The Alison Krauss Live is a reference and personal favorite of mine and my wifes. Currently in very heavy rotation. :)

Channel Classics has a great sampler disc that is very cheap. I paid about $9CDN for it, and it has some solid performances on it . I bought Vivaldi's La Stravaganza by Rachel Podger and a Pieter Wispelwey disc(C. Saint Saens) that were both featured on the sampler. Both discs are excellent and are worth picking up. I also plan on picking up Wispelwey's Benjamin Britton disc.
Amen. I did a whole thread on the Channel Classics sampler-I have yet to hear a bad recording - the Wispelwey Britton is in my collection and I love it. I also like the Tafelmusik disc. I wish I could find the La Stravaganza; I may go online for this one soon. The tracks on the sampler are electrifying.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Classical Rainbow Body on Telarc - The Atlanta Symphony plays Aaron Copland, need I say more. The ASO is very well regarded on its Copland. The sonics are spectacular with pure DSD throughout-individuals instruments solid and pure tonality.

Jazz Four Generations of Miles on Chesky - beautiful tribute to Miles, great sonic ambience.

I'll definitely have to check out that Copeland.

The Four Generations is a great disc. Live, they're even better. :)

Channel is awesome. I just love their choice of music. I would have never heard Britten's compositions if I wasn't interested in acquiring SACD classical.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Thanks for the recommendations! (Except for Nickle Creek - Nickle Creek is NOT bluegrass :) )

I already have The Look of Love (hybrid) and I will definatly have to pick up some of the Sugar Hill releases. You guys recommended too much! I will be broke! :)

Mark

KrisM

Second Unit
the Wispelwey Britton is in my collection and I love it
The more I hear the track on the sampler the more I want this disc. I just can't find it. I will probably have to order it.
I even went to 'the' classical store here and the clerk looked at me kind of funny when I asked for it. He said something about liking it himself, but nobody wants to listen to solo cello music by Britton! Who knew, 4 classical cds in my collection and I'm apparently already an elitist.:)

Regards
KrisM
NP - Paul Reddick & The Sidemen - Rattlebag

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
He said something about liking it himself, but nobody wants to listen to solo cello music by Britton!
Maybe cellists do! :D

Mike, I wish I had seen these guys live. :emoji_thumbsup:

By the way, the Audio Fidelity SACDs have been plentiful at the local Best Buy and Media Play. Media Play has been ordering all the Channel Classics discs which pleasantly surprises me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks