What's new

SACD on a 5.1 system (1 Viewer)

tim_Neil

Agent
I am looking at getting a sony DVD SACD player. I really like to listen to music on surround sound (discrete channels)
Can someone offer me some input on how it works and how much different the sound is from regular dvd sound,

Also can you run 6.1 SACD music on a 5.1 system... where does the reciever send the 6th channel.

I am really new to all of this. ( I don't even have my speakers yet.)

Tim

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tim, multi-channel SACD is just 5.1, not 6.1. So, all multi-channel SACD players have a 5.1-channel output, which you will mate with your receiver's 5.1-channel input. You simply run six cables (front left, front right, rear left, rear right, center, and subwoofer) from the 5.1-channel outputs on the player to the 5.1-channel inputs on your receiver. You can use this cable set-up for playback of CDs and stereo SACDs as well since you have cables there for the front two channels.

As for sound quality, note that DVD-Video discs have compressed audio. Both Dolby Digital and DTS are compressed audio formats that do not match the resolution of the CD. SACD is a higher-resolution format than CD, so SACD will easily beat the sound quality that you experience with Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks.

Which DVD/SACD player are you looking to get?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks