What's new

SACD News From Hong Kong Summit (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I thought Danny Tse and some of the other global participants might have an interest in this:

http://www.sa-cd.net/shownews/23

I guess the title output is remaining strong globally in spite of the royalty issues in the U.S.

By the way, Stephen is the manager of the SACDinfo website, a very good resource for Super Audio reviews and statistics and news.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I thought Danny Tse and some of the other global participants might have an interest in this:

http://www.sa-cd.net/shownews/23

I guess the title output is remaining strong globally in spite of the royalty issues in the U.S.

By the way, Stephen is the manager of the SACDinfo website, a very good resource for Super Audio reviews and statistics and news.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I never thought Blu-Ray was gonna be a music format. Yada, Yada, well, just because it's possible, don't mean probable. The bleeding labels are almost too paranoid to put out DVD-A's and SA-CD's. It never computed with me that they would release anything in a format that was potentially better.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I never thought Blu-Ray was gonna be a music format. Yada, Yada, well, just because it's possible, don't mean probable. The bleeding labels are almost too paranoid to put out DVD-A's and SA-CD's. It never computed with me that they would release anything in a format that was potentially better.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I've never thought it would be an audio format either.

However, I think that every Blu-Ray player should be backwards compatible with SACD (just is it is backwards compatible with DVD-V). They won't do it, though.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

I've never thought it would be an audio format either.

However, I think that every Blu-Ray player should be backwards compatible with SACD (just is it is backwards compatible with DVD-V). They won't do it, though.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think it has a chance to be an audio format. It depends on a great number of things. The music business may be too collectively stupid :) to realize the golden opportunity before them to promote simultaneously a hirez vide and hirez audio format. It's too bad if they pass on it.

It is definitely muhc harder to establish a new music format but if they did the replacement revenue would be tremendous for them.

We may yet see BluRay players that are backward compatible with SACD discs. If Sony does not add DSD to the BluRay audio spec (which some claim is under consideration) then I would expect that they and others may add a separate laser for SACD discs-a sort of universal BluRay machine.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think it has a chance to be an audio format. It depends on a great number of things. The music business may be too collectively stupid :) to realize the golden opportunity before them to promote simultaneously a hirez vide and hirez audio format. It's too bad if they pass on it.

It is definitely muhc harder to establish a new music format but if they did the replacement revenue would be tremendous for them.

We may yet see BluRay players that are backward compatible with SACD discs. If Sony does not add DSD to the BluRay audio spec (which some claim is under consideration) then I would expect that they and others may add a separate laser for SACD discs-a sort of universal BluRay machine.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

Yes, Stephen mentioned it to me a couple of weeks ago that he was visiting Hong Kong for the seminar. I believe I tried to steer him away from HMV if he was to shop for SACDs.

Regarding interest of SACDs from mainland China, one of the labels mentioned was China Record Corporation (CRC). This is the largest government-owned record label in China, so it has tremendous influence in the marketplace. They have so far released 2 titles on SACD, but they are priced very aggressively in Hong Kong.

Although HK EMI wasn't mentioned in Stephen's report, its release of 3 Sarah Brightman titles on SACD has proven to be very popular. Of course, the release was timed to match that of Sarah Brightman's tour of China. With Whitney Houston touring China in July and The Eagles visiting Hong Kong later in the year, maybe the HK divisions of the "Big 5" should take notice of the success of those Sarah Brightman SACDs.

It's good to put some faces on their names, finally.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

Yes, Stephen mentioned it to me a couple of weeks ago that he was visiting Hong Kong for the seminar. I believe I tried to steer him away from HMV if he was to shop for SACDs.

Regarding interest of SACDs from mainland China, one of the labels mentioned was China Record Corporation (CRC). This is the largest government-owned record label in China, so it has tremendous influence in the marketplace. They have so far released 2 titles on SACD, but they are priced very aggressively in Hong Kong.

Although HK EMI wasn't mentioned in Stephen's report, its release of 3 Sarah Brightman titles on SACD has proven to be very popular. Of course, the release was timed to match that of Sarah Brightman's tour of China. With Whitney Houston touring China in July and The Eagles visiting Hong Kong later in the year, maybe the HK divisions of the "Big 5" should take notice of the success of those Sarah Brightman SACDs.

It's good to put some faces on their names, finally.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Huh?

Blu-Ray players can also play DVD-Video.

DVD-Video and SACD use the same laser wavelength.

Therefore, adding SACD capability to Blu-Ray would not require a separate laser.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Huh?

Blu-Ray players can also play DVD-Video.

DVD-Video and SACD use the same laser wavelength.

Therefore, adding SACD capability to Blu-Ray would not require a separate laser.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks