What's new

S video how do i use it? (1 Viewer)

i just bough some new s video cables yesterday. how do i get the tv to work with them? i know they are just for picture and that you have to have sound cables i did that still no sound. i have 2 s video conections and both are working this way. i have s video on my tv menue but it still dosent work. great picture but no sound.'

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
What are you connecting to your TV?

The S-video cable goes from S-Video out of the device to S-video in of the TV--let's say this is "Video 1." You will then have to send the audio to the "Video 1" audio inputs. If you are sending audio to a receiver and not to the TV, you will have to make sure the receiver is set to the correct input.

Hope that helps...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Yes, give us a list of what you are trying to connect...

- TV
- DVD player?
- VCR?
- Receiver?

and we can further advise you.

Moved to basics area.

I am trying to connect my dvd sat reciver and my vcr to the tv with s video. On the tv menue there is in order ant/cabtv,video1, video2, video3, svideo 1, svideo 2, dvd. What I have been doing is connecting the s video to the dvd player and the satalite reciver using the s video connection also using video 1 and 2. If I select video 1 or 2 I have sound, but if I select either of the s video connections better picture but no sound.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
[...]
Of course, this may have nothing to do with your problem. :)
EDIT: it turns out the above was the only correct line in my original post.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris

It is taking me a little longer than normal to read your posts with no capital letters to begin sentences.

Could you please list the following:
1) Make/Model of each piece of equipment
2) All current connection (i.e. RCA audio interconnects between this and that...)

We really want to help you to get the connections right!

Simply slecting the input from the TV menu will not give you sound unless you have sound connected to that input.

If you want to connect a satellite receiver, DVD player, and VCR to the TV, you will need THREE SEPARATE VIDEO AND AUDIO connections.

Do you have a home theater receiver? You could have connections from the satellite receiver, DVD player, and VCR to the RECEIVER and then have one S-video cable going to the TV from the receiver. Then you caould use the receiver to select the video source and use your speakers for audio.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
For each of your video inputs, do you also have matching RCA plugs for left/right audio? If so, you must run L/R audio cables from the device to the matching RCA audio inputs.

A more common thing is to buy a AV receiver. You run both video and audio from everything to the receiver, then 1 video cable to the TV.

The receiver only passes on the video to the TV, but the receiver sends the sounds to the attached speakers.

Does this help?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks