What's new

S-VHS cable question (1 Viewer)

Mark Bates

Agent
Two "experts" I have talked to have given me different advice on SVHS cables. One said that I should never use a SVHS cable longer then 6 feet the other says the cables are fine up to 25 feet without much, if any, degradation of the signal. Who is right?
Thanks,
Mark

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Both.
It depends on the quality of the cable and the quality of your display device. Better cables can be run further, while a poorer display device will hide the degredation of the signal.
In other words, if you have to run an s-video signal a significant distance (more than, say, 10 feet) you should consider using adapators and a pair of high quality rg6 cables.
------------------
Selden

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I have a 10m run of Belden S-VHS cable from my Prepro to my projector, and even using the best source(LD), the picture is far from my HTPC/DVD setup using computer VGA cables(also a 10m run). However, that might just be coz of the inferior source(LD vs HTPC/DVD)

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
It should also be noted that S-VHS is a video tape format and s-video is a connection type. It's short for "separated video." The two terms aren't really interchangeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks