What's new

Need help on connections (1 Viewer)

rdaled

Auditioning
Real Name
Dale
Just not sure the best way to hook everything up. Here is a list of components and what jacks they have:

Kenwood VR-407 Receiver (5.1, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS, DVD 6-Channel Input)
- Component
- S video
- Optical
- Coaxial digital

Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-36HS510
Video 1-4
- A/V component
- S video
HD DVD
- Component (Y,Pb,Pr)
- Audio L&R

Sony SLV-D350P DVD/VHS Player
- A/V component
- Component (Y,Pb, Pr)
- S video
- Optical
- Coaxial digital

As far as TV I am just using an OTA digital antenna with a converter/DVR box and have it connected striaght to the TV with A/V component cables. My main question is the best way to hook up the receiver, DVD, & TV.

Thanks, Dale

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I think your receiver only has "composite" video, not component video.

Video:
Connect the DVD/VCR's component video to one of the TV's component ins. The jacks marked Y/Pb/Pr, colored green/blue/red.

Connect the DVD/VCR's composite video out jack (yellow connector) to any video 1-4 on the TV that's unused. This for viewing tapes, DVD/VCR combos often don't output the VCR video over component.

Audio:
connect coax out from the DVD/VCR to a coax digital input on the receiver

Also connect red/white RCA from the DVD/VCR to an input on the receiver (VCR may not output sound over digital)

What model DTV converter do you have, and what sort of connections are on it? You might be able to get better sound out of it, and maybe you want to hook it up to the VCR for recording.

rdaled

Auditioning
Real Name
Dale
Thanks for the reply.

I guess I need to look up the difference between composite & component.

The converter box (which is also a DVR) has A/V component & optical. Would the optical connection give me better sound than the component cables? Not sure I would ever record with the VCR since I have a DVR, but I guess if there was something I wanted to keep long term it would come in handy.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

If the converter box is a DVR (which model?), it likely has *both* composite and component jacks. Use the component to your TV for better picture and make sure the menu is set for HD output rather than just SD. Use the optical to your receiver for sound, you can get Dolby digital 5.1 on many primetime programs.

rdaled

Auditioning
Real Name
Dale
Thanks for the explanation.

You are right about the DVR having composite & component, it is a Dish DTVPal made by Echostar. Watched House last night in surround and everything worked great!

Thanks for the help!!

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks