What's new

RXV-1300 - Should I buy it to replace Kenwood (1 Viewer)

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
I have Kenwood 6060 6.1 reciever mated to energy take 5 speakers. The setup sounds excellent.

I know the yamaha would sound much better than Kenwood. Would it be more powerful than the Yamaha ?
The yamaha 1300 is available at Tweeter for $550. I was wondering if I should jump on it. This should keep me futureproof for a few years and for the new speakers that I would upgeade to in future.
What do you guys think ? Should I wait for RXV-1400 and pay the extra $$$, I dont think the calibration feature is all that important to me.
Thanks for your valuable help

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I know the yamaha would sound much better than Kenwood.
If you are happy with your Kenwood, then why even consider the Yamaha?? Keep in mind, that going over to a Yamaha has to depend on your ears -- what you hear with the Yamaha. Some people don't like the Yamaha sound - others do. Also, the newer Yamaha receivers are supposed to have a new sound. Maybe, waiting on the 1400 is your best move for now. Personally, I'd wait to hear the 1400 - and see how much different it sounds than the 1300. Plus, if you do buy a Yamaha, ensure you buy it from a store with a good return policy. If you get it home and don't like the sound - ensure it can be returned.

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne, Thanks for your response. Do you think Yamaha would be a big improvement compared to the Kenwood ? I know yamaha sound bright, but I think I would like that, I really need to try it out.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Do you think Yamaha would be a big improvement compared to the Kenwood ?
It seems that most people who own Kenwood receivers love them. I don't think your desire to upgrade, would justify the cost. I'm not sure of your other components, but there must be other areas where you could put $550 towards where you would see a bigger improvement. Do you have a subwoofer? 5 speakers, etc. ?

[flame suit on] Most of the reports that I've read seem to indicate that Yamaha receivers don't produce the power that they are advertised to do. However, the a Kenwood was tested by Sound and Vision and produced pretty close to its rated power. [/flame suit off]

Lee M T

Second Unit
Rajeev,

I personaly found a huge improvment going from an old Pioneer to my Yamaha RX-V640. I really don't find it bright either on my old Cerwin Vega floorstanders or my Dad's Infinity Sterling Bookshelves. I think this receiver just sounds more powerful and cleaner than the Pioneer (Pio was rated at much higher wattage too). As for how it would sound over the Kenwood, I just don't know. I've never done a direct comparison, especially with the same speakers. But I can tell you that my brother-in-law bought a Kenwood earlier in the year and was happy with it until he came to my house and heard my system. We have spent pretty much the same amount for our systems thus far. He wants me to bring over my Yamaha and plug it into his system to see a real comparison. Hopefully I will be able to do thats soon, but I'm not sure when I will get to.

I too have seen some tests results, like Wayne, showing a significant drop off in power with all channels driven. I am just starting to save up money to get a speaker package, but I rigged up several speakers for a brief glimspe of surround sound in my room, and I really didn't notice any power deficiencies in my room when playing all channels.

In the end, I've only had my Yammie since late June, but so far I am very pleased. Especially since it obliterates my old Pioneer which I actualy paid more for back in the day.

Anyhow, good luck on whatever you do.

Lee

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
[flame suit on] Most of the reports that I've read seem to indicate that Yamaha receivers don't produce the power that they are advertised to do. However, the a Kenwood was tested by Sound and Vision and produced pretty close to its rated power. [/flame suit off]
For some reason I find my Kenwood not as powerful at S&V tested in to be. The reason might be size of the room, 22x16. But the take 5s are fairly efficient at 88dB/W/m. I have to keep the volume level at -25dB for most movies and TV. This doesnt leave much headroom. Like last weekend I was watching Godfather series, I had to keep the volume lever at -15dB. Godfather DVDs volume levels are quite low.
I have a Velodyne sub VX-10 which has impressed me. My main reason to upgrade is cleaner sound, more power and component switching for my 53" Panny HDTV. Yamahas are supposed to provide cleaner sound.
This is my first humble home theater system. I will try to upgrade when funds and WAF match.
If anyone who has upgraded from Kenwood to Yamaha can comment, that would be a great help.

Thanks for you all your replies guys. I am leaning towards trying the Yamaha out unless its a futile attempt.

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
One more question, I went to tweeter and bought the 1300, they didnt have it in stock, so they are getting it delivered on tuesday from another store from neighboring state.

They had 2300 and it was priced at $650, do you guys think I should get that instead of the 1300 ? Is it worth to spend $100 more on the reciever that gives 10watts more power ?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I think the RXV-2300 offers a little bit more than just 10 watts of power:

- Remote control that can perform macro functions.
- 2nd zone that you can output multi-sources to (the 1300 only outputs audio to the 2nd zone)
- RS-232 port -- for future receiver upgrades

Here's a chart that compares both of them: Yamaha Receiver Comparison

10 watts is not enough to jump to the 2300 for. However, if you have a desire for the other features that the 2300 offers, then go for it.

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne,
what does it mean that it can output multi-sources to the 2nd zone ?
Do you think I would need RS232 port in the future ? What is it used for - DVD-A, SACD or something else ?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks