RX-V1400 Help?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Walt H, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

Anyone with a RX-V1400 help me out here please. While listening to a 2 channel source such as TV, put the receiver in DTS Neo:6 Cinema, then press the THX button. Now go and look at the receiver and see what decoder it's reading. When I do this mine says "pro logic II with THX". Is this correct even when you have it on DTS Neo: 6 Cinema and THX?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    That’s correct. You can’t get DTS with two-channel sources like TV broadcasts, only with DVD’s.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Wayne,
    I am not sure what you mean. DTS Neo: 6 Cinema is the equivalent of DPLII movie, it is meant for 2 channel sources like TV. Just like Neo: 6 Music is like PLII music.

Walt, I have the 2400, but have never tried pressing the THX button when using Neo: 6. I will have to try it tonight.
    Jeff

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Sorry – didn’t know that! :b

5. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I thought DTS Neo 6 was just an expansion of DTS. Im under the impression that the disc still needs to be DTS encoded.

6. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

OK, I was wrong. From the DTSonline web site:

"All two-channel content mastered on CD, VHS, DVD, etc. is fully compatible with DTS-capable 5.1, DTS 6.1 Matrix and DTS 6.1 Discrete decoding, and offer DTS 5.1 capabilities."

Of course, is says nothing about broadcast sources (TV). I would say that it does not work with tv (but I have been wrong before [​IMG] )

7. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

I don't know what the official DTS nomenclature is, but on the Yamaha, DTS Neo:6 Cinema and DTS Neo:6 Music are for 2 channel sources. It converts to 2 channel sources (TV included) into a processed 5.1 surround. Just like DPLII does with DPLII Movie and DPLII Music. I actually find that I prefer Neo:6 Music to DPLII music for 2 channel sources. There are other DTS modes that are used for the 5.1 and 6.1 DTS and DTS-ES Discreet soundtracks.