What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, I am a compassionate person. I would never want to be responsible for killing someone. When I think about having to live with killing an innocent person, I feel like that would crush me. You could put me in jail, but I may hardly notice it.

I guess, we will all feel different ways about it. I mean, I would want a person who intentionally killed someone to be punished. This was not that kind of situation. It was an accident. The armorer was just a young woman. She was put under undue pressure by the people paying her. She was told, on a gun heavy movie, that she was only allowed to work 8 days as the armorer, she told them it would require at least 10, sounds like it needed more than that. So, the people that hired her were specifically asking her NOT to do her job.

I'm not saying that is an excuse. She should have done her job far better than she did on the day Ms. Hutchins was killed. Had she, that life would have been saved and we would not even be talking about this.

She is obviously done working on pictures. Whatever job she gets next, there is a good possibility somebody recognizes she is the one that got Hutchins killed. This case is going to be used as an example over and over and over again. She's just 24 or so years old and her life is likely ruined. Jail is probably the least of her issues.

If she goes to jail, that would not be a huge surprise. She was, it would seem, extremely negligent. It does bother me a great deal that the people paying her were asking her to be extremely negligent. If she was not there to be the armorer because she had already put in her 8 days, who was supposed to be doing that job? Quite clearly the answer to that is nobody. They were going to go around having an armorer. Either that or they were putting it on her to make the choice of doing the job for free on her own or just not showing up at all. Not a great choice for a 24 year old kid just starting out in the business that wants to keep working in it. They hired her to take advantage of her, they did, a woman ended up dead.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Interesting, I thought the major problems with restarting this were, the lawsuits, not being able to shoot on the original locations due to the legal issues, and being unable to get the production insured.

I guess they are looking for ways around this and no surprise there will be no working prop guns on set. I imagine that due to the fact that part of the settlement with Hutchins' family was that her husband would become a producer is forcing them to attempt to complete this. It would seem that it is now a full on tribute to Hutchins by all involved.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
There was zero chance he’d go to prison for years to begin with. The outcome is he’ll spend very little/no time in jail, and be paying settlements.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Sounds like the DA's a dumbass, trying to file charges based on laws that didn't exist at the time.

Here is a major dumbass statement I find hard to believe someone made:

Heather Brewer, spokesperson for the New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney, said in a statement obtained by The Hollywood Reporter. “The prosecution’s priority is securing justice, not securing billable hours for big-city attorneys.”

It is the right of anybody charged with a crime to have a defense attorney. If you have the money to pay an expensive attorney, that is your choice and your right to hire the best defense you think you feel is available to you.

Heather Brewer should be reprimanded for making this statement, as if they decide to charge someone with a crime a defense attorney is going to begin to accrue billable hours in that person's defense. Does not matter if the attorney is from a "big city" or a small one. That is an embarrassment that she said that and she probably should not be the spokesperson if she is going to say dumb things like this.

It does sound as if this statement was made in anger because a lawyer demonstrated there was a mistake made by the state in what they charged. It also makes it sound as if the state has a prejudice against the people they have charged, rather than a desire to secure justice. Bad move by Ms. Brewer.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
As I have written prior, Baldwin the actor isn't at fault here. It's all on the Weapons Handler.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks