What's new

Rush Hour 2 subtitle missing? (1 Viewer)

There is no subtitles even though my DVD player(Panasonic A120U) indicates its on. I do see the InfiniFilm subtitles.

Anyone else have this problem?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I believe New Line has a policy of no English subs on the Infinifilm titles. They've always been one of the most export paranoid studios(probably because their titles are sublicensed overseas often), and I guess they just don't want to assist any foreigners with importation

Darn shame

Phu Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Rush Hour 2 is close captioned though. They are ugly. But what can you do?

Ka Yuen

Agent
The subtitles came on very infrequently. It came on when Jackie Chan was talking cantonese to his boss on the cell phone when he and Chris were in the car. If you blink, you will miss it. It did not matter to me, I speak cantonese.

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
I would go as far as saying that New Line is a disgrace for the DVD community by not supporting English Subtitles on their titles. Such important features should simply not be omitted.

Ron Birk

Larry Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
First, I LOVE the Infinifilm line, so it pains me to barf on it. I have reported this to New Line on every release to no avail. I remind them that the DVD specs provide 32 subtitle streams - 32!

1. The Infinifilm special features that use the subtitle stream are not displayed throughout the entire film. They only appear at key select points. When they do appear, the subtitle for the dialog can be placed anywhere else on the screen.

2. The 'Fun Fact' subtitle stream has a inherent problem when you turn closed caption on (at least when I watched on my PC - haven't tried this on a DVD player). When the 'Fun Fact' appear, it turns off the closed caption dialog box - EVEN though the closed caption box appears at the top of the screen.

3. If the 'Fun Fact' CAN turn off the closed captioning, why can't the dialog subtitle stream be turned off when needed.

As I stated, 32 subtitle streams are available for a DVD. There is no reason why with the right DVD authoring, the dialog subtitle stream can not be used by moving it when needed.

Closed captioning is not a feasible option since more and more studios are providing closed captioning within the picture frame next to the person toalking (e.g., Universal), thus obscuring the underlying picture all over the place with the black box and text.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks