What's new

Rugby (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I watched a full Rugby game last night and both my wife and I thougholy enjoyed it.

It was some Australian Rugby League game on last night possibly and repeat of a game played earlier. It seemed to have been a final game or some sort of major tournament. It was against the Sydney Roosters (love that team name) and some Panther team.

I played Rugby in College but never played long enough, only 2 years, to know all the rules. And some of these rules seemed new to me.

Some of the treatment seemed awfully rough and if some of things happened to any of us when we were playing I'm sure abunch of fights would have broken out. Things like when the tavkler is getting off the guy he just tackled he pushes the guys head in the ground. Or people that get tackled once on the ground flailing about, kicking his feet and hitting the other players.

Is this typical, and why don't people get offended when this happens?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A part of this has to do with the fact that you watched a Rugby League, which is different than Rugby, or as it also known, Rugby Union.

Although Rugby at the top levels is now professional, its roots are in the English Public school system—resulting in a game that was (until recently) played by amateurs. Rugby League was played by the working class, who needed to get paid to play and therefore its tradition is professional.

The two forms of the game (or codes) have different rules—even to the point that they have a different number of players on the field.

As far as the way the game is played, it is said that Rugby Union is a thug’s game played by gentlemen, soccer is a gentlemen’s game played by thugs, and Rugby League is a thug’s game played by thugs.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Rugby Union is a thug’s game played by gentlemen, soccer is a gentlemen’s game played by thugs, and Rugby League is a thug’s game played by thugs.
:laugh: :laugh:

Rugby- American football, just without the sissy pads, hard helmets, stopping every 7-8 seconds in between plays, etc. etc. etc.

Or

Rugby- Tackle soccer football (which is really true as they both started as variations of the same game)

Chris

Ian Wilson

Agent
Don't know if there is any coverage in the States but the Rugby Union World cup kicks off this weekend. Rugby is New Zealands national sport and we're favorites to win this time round. The US is there, currently ranked 14th in the world. First game for the US is on Wednesday the 15th of October against Fiji ranked 11th.

Lots of info here http://www.rugby2003.com.au/

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Yeah USA,

I watch the Blacks last night vs Tonga., remind me of our college rugby team. We were Tonga, except we never scored.:frowning:

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to the Canada vs. Tonga game tonight. Should be an interesting game with Tonga ranked 15th and Canada 16th, so they are both a useless as each other. ;)

I'll be going to see the USA play France this Friday night.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Its in Wollongong at WIN Stadium, about an hour from where I am. It is a small venue but it is still has a great atmosphere. Personally, i'm rooting for France in that particular match-up. :)

Stevan Lay

Second Unit
Congratulations to England on winning the World Cup.

It was a great a game for those who missed it. Went into double overtime, and a drop goal in the final 20-seconds of the game to clinch victory.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks