What's new

RPTV vs Direct view models - picture comparable?Please help me decide on new purchase (1 Viewer)

JasonRH

Second Unit
Just wondering how the picture on an RPTV compares to that output by a direct view tube like that found in the Sony Wega models? For home theater everyone seems to think that bigger is better but I'm more interested in having the most detailed, sharpest picture. Is there a comparison? I'm ready to take delivery of an XBR-450 but I may hold off if RPTV's are a better route to take.Thanks.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
For watching DVD's and HDTV, an RPTV will give you a far better picture. But for watching regular cable and satellite a direct view will give you the better picture.
So, you have to ask your self if you want to give up a little on the "regular" TV viewing to get more for DVD and HDTV.
I don't know where you live, but definetly go to different dealers and compare the different kinds of TV's. You will want to see for yourself in person. Just be aware that some dealers don't set their RPTV's up very well so the picture quality will be deceiving. That's why you should go to several different dealers to get the best idea.
And oh ya, bigger is better!!
biggrin.gif

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
RPTV's inherently are capable of much greater image resolution than a direct view tube set.
On the Sony that you are looking at ... with HDTV material, the set is only capable of about 700 lines of horizontal resolution. The Typical RPTV even in the 40 inch range will deliver well over 1000 lines.
Problem is ... small images create the illusion that you see more detail and increased sharpness.
Hence 32" sets look sharper than 36" sets ...
27" sets look sharper than 32" sets.
21" sets look sharper than 27" sets ...
and if you want to keep playing this "sharpness game without consideration for size ... then you may as well just get a 13" set ... it will be the sharpest of all and you will sit 6 inches from the screen.
RPTV ... more real detail than Direct Views ... but bigger ... and that is the point.
but what happens when you blow up a picture with only finite image information ... the image gets more blurry the larger it gets. Makes sense ...
Same reason why a small 20K Jpeg image looks one way at 640x480, but much worse at 1280x1024.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Matt_R

Stunt Coordinator
Two months ago, I upgraded from a 32" Wega to a Toshiba 40H80. At first, I was not pleased with the picture. I wasn't happy with the "soft" image the RPTV had in comparision to the "sharp" Sony. However, after having it professionally calibrated and playing with Avia myself, the Toshiba BLOWS away the Wega. You'll soon realize that the RPTV give more a "film-like" image. Meaning less scanlines, pixels, etc. It looks like a smooth, film printed image.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Michael pretty much said it-the bigger the screen, the worse a mediocre source (average cable) will look.
The line doublers in hd-ready sets can compound this problem.
For best dvd performance, a 16/9 hd-ready rptv with a progressive scan player will look magnificent.
Problem is that the line doubler and stretch mode necessary for watching regular 4/3 tv can make for a poor picture when watching regular cable and the more compressed satellite channels.
A good ntsc/only 4/3 rptv, like the Mitsubishi Gold series or the Hitachi SBX Ultravisions, with their 3DYC comb filters and good optics can produce a better cable or satellite picture than the hd-ready sets, imho. They won't match the performance of the 16/9 hd ready models for dvd, but do look pretty darn good if you're not already spoiled.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks