What's new

RP91, RP82 availability & replacement models (1 Viewer)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I was interested in the RP82 and also the RP91, both of which do not suffer from the chroma bug. I had heard that neither was in production anymore, is this true and if so, what is the replacement from Panasonic? I am looking for a decent but not too expensive progressive player that obviously does not suffer from the chroma bug but also has optical and coaxial digital audio out a remote that is functional (didn't care too much for the RP82 remote although I would settle for it otherwise).

Where is the list of players that has no c.bug?

Anthony.Lin

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't compared the CP72 and the RP82 side by side, but others have and said that the image quality is exactly the same (uses same decoder chip and internals).

Only thing different is that the CP72 doesn't have a coaxial out, and doesn't remaster CD-audio into the higher bit-rate. I can live with both, plus the 5-DVD changer capability is great :)

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I like the CP72 as well, but looks like he wants coaxial too.
Neil as far as I know it isn't clear what the replacement will be, or if it will even contain comparable chips. I know you said Panasonic, but the Denon 1600 is I believe said to be equal to if not better than the RP82.

Jose T

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up an RP-91 before the holidays from onecall.com and bestpriceaudiovideo.com has them as well at competive price. Its a well built unit and much smother operating them my Panny RP-56. No problem but the remote is not backlite as you would expect in the price range $400- 450). Not a deal breaker.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Neil, here's a couple of links to start from :

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...ut-1-2003.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-bin/shootout.cgi

I was at my local London Drugs (I don't think have them in Ontario) and the Salesman called his Panasonic rep who told him he had some RP82's left in Western Canada. I should be getting one for 350CDN (I hope). MSRP was 499CDN. Have you been able to get a hold of any Panasonic reps to see if they can find you one.

Have heard pluses and minuses about the CP72 and the (lack of) quality of the multi-changer.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Jose T,

If you get a chance, could you let us know what the manufacture date is of your 91 (located on the back of unit) and what firmware version it has? To check the firmware version currently installed: While pressing (and holding) these three buttons: open/close, stop and pause (on the front of the player), press the number 7 on the remote (pointed at the player). The result will be displayed on the display of the RP-91. If you could check this out and post it on here, I would appreciate it. I'm thinking of picking up a 91 from onecall, and would really like to know what the manufacture date and firmware versions are. Thanks!

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
PaulT,

$350CDN is a great price if you can get one. I've got a local dealer who has one for $397CDN($250US). The salesman tells me they are due in 20 at the end of the month. I think I'll stop by a pickup the one they have to replace my rp62. I just don't think we'll be able to pickup a DVD player of the 82 caliber at that price in the near future.

Kevin

Jeramy_K

Stunt Coordinator
I emailed an online company on Tuesday because their site indicated they had RP82's in stock. But when I got the response, this is what they had to say :

I'm not going to spend $350 for one at this point. I'll likely either pickup a CP72 or Denon 1600.

-Jeramy

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Word from my Panasonic rep this morning (I'm in Canada) is that the RP82 is gone, no more are due in, and none of his accounts have any. Aside from existing dealer stock (if any), this unit is history.

The replacement model is DVD-S85 (single disc) and DVD-F85 (5-disc changer). No pricing or specs yet (early March) and availability should be April.

Oh yeah...both units are supposed to be available in either silver or, the proper colour for electronic components, BLACK! :)

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I have also heard that Panasonic will be using infirior chips on these new players so that they can reduce the price and compete with the lower end players.

I currently have an RP-82 and have a 72 on order, when the 72 comes in I will be comparing them side by side to make sure the picture quality is the same. The RP-82 is my backup player (I use an HTPC) but with more movies coming out with several DVD's I want a changer. I might sell the 82 or move it to the bedroom if there is no difference between the 72 and 82, players this good won't come around at this price again.

Ken_F

Stunt Coordinator
I have also heard that Panasonic will be using infirior chips on these new players so that they can reduce the price and compete with the lower end players.
Yes, that is the rumor...

If Panasonic does not use the Faroudja 2200 deinterlace chip and the same quality mpeg decoder in the 85 models (as it did the 82)...hopefully, it will offer a more expensive 95 model with a comparable decoder and newer Faroudja 2300 de-interlace/scaler chip.

Still, I think Panasonic set the standard for DVD players fairly high with the RP82. I'm not sure they can "go back" at this point. Panasonic was the among the first to bring high quality mpeg decoding and Faroudja de-interlace into low-cost DVD products, and I expect we'll see other vendors do the same with their upcoming low-cost models. Certainly, at CES, there were several

Jose T

Stunt Coordinator
Greg T

The firmware number on my RP-91 is HO98 witha mfg date of May 02. Is there anything I need to update on this unit.

greg_t

Screenwriter
Jose,

the firmware version should be the last three numbers that appear on the display, such as 236 or 250 or later. If you could check it again and confirm, I would appreciate it. I am considering getting a 91 and would like to see what firmware version the newer manufactured ones are at. Thanks.

Miles_W

Second Unit
Neil,

email me a friend of mine who is a local ( GTA) dealer had a unit in stock as of last week...

Miles

RP-82 that is...

edit
Called my buddy... All gone as of 1/27/03
sorry!

he does still have RP91's though

Jose T

Stunt Coordinator
Greg T:

The numbers are 250. Do you know what the HO 98 stands for ? Hope that helps. The remote on this thing is not backlite but some of the buttons glow in the dark. Not a big deal since I plan to get a unviersal remote in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks