What's new

rp 91 or 47ai help me choose! (1 Viewer)

BobRoulier

Second Unit
I upgraded my sony ns700dvd player 2 months ago at tweeter I tried the sony ns 900dvd, pioneer elite 47a, and panny rp91. I thought all were comparable sound wise, picture wise the pioneer was very nice, except for the chroma bug:angry: but the rp91 did a stellar job on all dvds even some older discs but the colors aren't as vibrant as the pioneer!
So I actually got a store demo rp91 until my new one arrived from panasonic but the date keeps getting pushed back, Which isn't such a bad thing cause i get to use it and if something better comes out I can jump on that:D The sales guy called to find out what is taking so long and he asked them should I expect a replacement for the rp91 soon the reply he got back is "no" the firmware will be updated and the rp91 will remain for 2003. My big dilemma is I can wait for the pioneer elite 47ai and hope they fixed the chroma bug and I already own a 49tx receiver ( upgradeable) so I can benefit from the new technology now;) or keep the rp91. what do ya think?
Bob ps I looks like the reference 49ai wont be out till the 1st of the year:angry:

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Best thing I can suggest since I have neither of the units mentioned, is to do a search in this forum along with other forums and see some more pros and cons. Since you had a chance to demo both units.......... I say go with the one that you liked. Unless you are going to spend gobs amount of money, I think you will be happy with either unit.....

If my vote counts, I am getting the PANNY hands down!

Hope this helped.......

R~

Dzung Pham

Second Unit
It is highly doubtful that the new Pioneer will have the chroma bug fixed. Pioneer has had the stance that the chroma bug is not important. Get the 47Ai only if SACD and DVD-A in one box is really important.
From what I've heard (purely from a video standpoint), the best pq in that price range would either go to the Denon 1600 or 3800. You may also want to consider the Panasonic RP82 since most RP91 owners have said that it gives a better picture as well. With the RP82 you could afford to buy a separate SACD player.
The secrets website (Link Removed) has a review of the Denon 1600 if you're interested. Sorry about giving you some new options.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Thanks guys, I agree that pioneer does not think the chroma bug is an issue, but it is to me:frowning: I really do like the panny but I was thinking the i link would be very beneficial along with the ability to play both formats:emoji_thumbsup: If pioneer does not acknowledge the bug then I may have to look elsewhere. Does anyone know if the new marantz has the bug? any other suggestions for a mind blowing picture and either sacd or dvda preferable dvda so I wont have to buy a separate dvd player.
Thanks again, Bob

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
Just a humble dif. of opinion based on my own auditions. Take it for what you want. You should audition both and then decide though.

If the chroma bug bugs you...maybe the panny. Most people have to be told what the chroma bug is to even find it. To me it is no big deal.

If you are into watching test patterns for enjoyment, the panny may fare better.

If you want (imho) subjectively the best player for watching dvds, the pioneer elites are tops. Especially the DV 47.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks