What's new

Royal Space Force:The Wings of Honneamise, THE WORST DVD PICTURE EVER?! (1 Viewer)

Oscar

Second Unit
I am pretty sure everyone agrees on that, the picture on the DVD is just plain awful, not even a friends HDTV can improve it,I plan on starting a petition to send it to Manga Entertainment to get out a better edition, despite the awesome Dolby 5.1 track and the few but substantial special features, the picture is nowhere forgivable, is anyone with me?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Oscar, all of this came out and was thoroughly bitched on when the disc came out.

Manga said that when they renewed their license on the title (supposedly last month) they were going to try to gain access to the lovely Japanese transfer

Basically, the problems with the disc are a-a beat up print and b-a monkey at the telecine

Oscar

Second Unit
Yeah, thats what i hope, a relative of mine who lives in England, has a multiregion DVD player and the picture in the Japanese DVD is just plain awesome and beautiful, and there were no dirt or scratches despite the oldness of the film, unlike the Region 1 release, anyways i love your site Jeff, but does anyone know where can i find what just Jeff said about the access to release a better editon, i will certainly not drop the old one, because it has great featues (commentary, the short film, storyboards with music), also talking about anime, does anyone know if Buena Vista is releasing a better edition of Princess Mononoke, with a lot of more features?, but i love the sound and picture in that DVD, pure reference quality, unlike the WOH DVD (sigh)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There was a full restoration done on Honneamise in 1997, so they have a pristine digital master

I highly suggest you listen to the Japanese track, the dub is plain horrendous

Any new edition would have the same features, Manga has not announced anything about whether they got the new transfer or not

There is a 3-disc "Making of Mononoke" out in Japan, I'm doubting we'll ever see a better edition in the US. Unfortunately, only 20min of the 3-disc set has English subtitles, unlike all of the other Studio Ghibli discs

Oscar

Second Unit
I agree with you Jeff, even though the sound the sound on the english dub is awesome, the dubbing is as horrible as Battlefield Earth, they make Shiro sound like a person who dosent care about anything and never is serious in anything, and its just horrible, i always prefer listening the japanese dub, but sometimes i like both, like in Princess Mononoke or The Castle of Cagliostro, or even Akira

Oscar

Second Unit
But why can the film rights be sended to someone else?

Why not Pinoeer?, because im afraid that when Manga has the better transfer, they will screw it up again, as they always do on their discs, because as far as i know, EVERY single disc from them has a flaw, and an important one, so lets hope they dont screw up

Brian E

Screenwriter
because as far as i know, EVERY single disc from them has a flaw
What's wrong with Macross Plus, Perfect Blue, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Castle of Cagliostro, or Patlabor 1 & 2? I know Plus initially had a problem, but they fixed that and replaced discs long ago.

The only way someone else can get the rights is if either Manga gave them up or the Japanese studio chose to not renew Manga's rights and if the master is bad, it's bad. Sometimes getting new masters from Japan is next to impossible unless they're included at the time you license.

Oscar

Second Unit
Well, the flaw of them is generally the dubbing, but the master isnt bad, many discs that used the same master look much better, look at the French DVD release, my cousin has a Multi-Region DVD player, and that show how much it pales in comparsion.

They should have selled the rights to Buena Vista or someone else, they do a much better job in this things, i dont understand who will want to sell the movies to a studio who always finds a way to ruin a job

Patrick Cate

Stunt Coordinator
What's wrong with Macross Plus, Perfect Blue, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Castle of Cagliostro, or Patlabor 1 & 2? I know Plus initially had a problem, but they fixed that and replaced discs long ago.
Manga screwed up the Ninja Scroll DVD as well. The first version had a bunch of glitches so they finally had to recall it. Even with the new pressings however, they still haven't fixed the switched left-right Japanese stereo track to my knowledge. Manga DVD releases have been a huge disappoint for me. Their first DVD "Ghost in the Shell" was such a great effort I really thought they would be the anime company with the best DVD releases. Instead, almost every one of the DVD releases has either been delayed (often times by years), or the DVD was released buggy. Hopefully they'll eventually get their act together.

Chris Sypal

Stunt Coordinator
The Patlabor video wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. It looks like they went off their tape masters. The layer changes on them are horrible. I distinctly recall that on Patlabor 2, it was right at a very tense moment and just totally destroyed you concentration.

Now, They did an excellent job with Blood, but I still won't buy a title from them until I read reviews of the disc.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Compare the Patlabor discs to the lovely Japanese transfers

Whoever is doing their color correction must have mud on his glasses, because it's all brown!

My friend got the Korean releases, sourced from the Japanese masters (legit) and it's night and day

Oscar

Second Unit
Do i tell you something?, I should have listened to the review and not brought the disc, is just that i love this movie, and i wanted to see it on DVD, well anyways i generally dont buy reissues, depending, but i am NOT completely sure if i will buy the better edition of WOH, but if it truly does have a better edition, i will surely buy it

Oscar

Second Unit
By the way, i dont buy reissues regarding bonus material, but regarding quality, that is what DVD is all about, and i will surely buy a better edition of WOH, if there is a betted picture, by the way, does anybody know where can i find a Region free Japanese disc of the movie?, that would prevent me from buying the reissue

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
What's wrong with Macross Plus, Perfect Blue, Ninja Scroll, Ghost in the Shell, Castle of Cagliostro, or Patlabor 1 & 2?
As for Castle Of Cagliostro, it isn't bad but the Japanese R2 version is better in both video and audio. The only problem with Japanese version is that it has "dubtitles" instead of a literal translation. Otherwise, I would own it instead of the Manga version. Supposedly, the English dub is better on the Manga version than it is on the R2 version but I personally never listen to the English dubs.
Jeff

Oscar

Second Unit
It would be nice, that ALL DVDs were made in Japan, brought from their own masters or depending of the nacionality of the film

Brian E

Screenwriter
I agree that it would be great if all anime discs looked as good as the R2's, but unless the way things are licensed in Japan changes it's not likely. The anime companies here get a master when they procure a license and that's it most times. If they want a new master they have to renegotiate, and sometimes pay big money, for it from what I understand. Most of these shows were licensed for VHS releases and sometimes the quality of the master shows that.

I forgot about the problems with Ninja Scroll, they were so long ago.

I agree that it would be nice to see them get their act together as far as release dates go.

I also agree that when they saw how bad WOH looked they should have just told fans that it wouldn't be coming pending their getting a new master from Japan.

Now if we could just get CPM to redo the first Slayers set.

John Chow

Second Unit
Actually, I believe CPM is redoing the Slayers set. If you check their webpage here:
https://secure.centralparkmedia.com/...series=slayers
You will see there are 2 slayers dvd collections listed, one with the word Enhanced. The release date is listed as 6/11/02.
Regarding Macross +, even after the remaster, it is still messed up. On the 5.1 English track, you now have sound coming out of the center channel, but you also have the same sounds coming out of the left/right when you shouldn't. It's a pretty odd sounding effect and is fairly annoying. iirc, the original problem was not having a center channel at all.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Only the first pressing of Honneamise in Japan was region free. The region 2 versions run around $100

Yes, the quality of the domestic master is variable. Basically the more quality you want, the more you pay. Most of them have masters intended for VHS or possibly LD use, and getting new masters requires new contracts

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks