Royal Space Force:The Wings of Honneamise, THE WORST DVD PICTURE EVER?!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Oscar, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

I am pretty sure everyone agrees on that, the picture on the DVD is just plain awful, not even a friends HDTV can improve it,I plan on starting a petition to send it to Manga Entertainment to get out a better edition, despite the awesome Dolby 5.1 track and the few but substantial special features, the picture is nowhere forgivable, is anyone with me?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Oscar, all of this came out and was thoroughly bitched on when the disc came out.

Manga said that when they renewed their license on the title (supposedly last month) they were going to try to gain access to the lovely Japanese transfer

Basically, the problems with the disc are a-a beat up print and b-a monkey at the telecine

3. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Yeah, thats what i hope, a relative of mine who lives in England, has a multiregion DVD player and the picture in the Japanese DVD is just plain awesome and beautiful, and there were no dirt or scratches despite the oldness of the film, unlike the Region 1 release, anyways i love your site Jeff, but does anyone know where can i find what just Jeff said about the access to release a better editon, i will certainly not drop the old one, because it has great featues (commentary, the short film, storyboards with music), also talking about anime, does anyone know if Buena Vista is releasing a better edition of Princess Mononoke, with a lot of more features?, but i love the sound and picture in that DVD, pure reference quality, unlike the WOH DVD (sigh)

4. Jeff Kleist

There was a full restoration done on Honneamise in 1997, so they have a pristine digital master

I highly suggest you listen to the Japanese track, the dub is plain horrendous

Any new edition would have the same features, Manga has not announced anything about whether they got the new transfer or not

There is a 3-disc "Making of Mononoke" out in Japan, I'm doubting we'll ever see a better edition in the US. Unfortunately, only 20min of the 3-disc set has English subtitles, unlike all of the other Studio Ghibli discs

5. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

I agree with you Jeff, even though the sound the sound on the english dub is awesome, the dubbing is as horrible as Battlefield Earth, they make Shiro sound like a person who dosent care about anything and never is serious in anything, and its just horrible, i always prefer listening the japanese dub, but sometimes i like both, like in Princess Mononoke or The Castle of Cagliostro, or even Akira

6. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

But why can the film rights be sended to someone else?

Why not Pinoeer?, because im afraid that when Manga has the better transfer, they will screw it up again, as they always do on their discs, because as far as i know, EVERY single disc from them has a flaw, and an important one, so lets hope they dont screw up

7. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

8. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Well, the flaw of them is generally the dubbing, but the master isnt bad, many discs that used the same master look much better, look at the French DVD release, my cousin has a Multi-Region DVD player, and that show how much it pales in comparsion.

They should have selled the rights to Buena Vista or someone else, they do a much better job in this things, i dont understand who will want to sell the movies to a studio who always finds a way to ruin a job

9. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I just hope they don't screw the Evangelion movies up. They've been delayed over and over again.

10. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

I know

11. Patrick Cate

Patrick Cate Stunt Coordinator

12. Chris Sypal

Chris Sypal Stunt Coordinator

13. Jeff Kleist

Compare the Patlabor discs to the lovely Japanese transfers

Whoever is doing their color correction must have mud on his glasses, because it's all brown!

My friend got the Korean releases, sourced from the Japanese masters (legit) and it's night and day

14. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Do i tell you something?, I should have listened to the review and not brought the disc, is just that i love this movie, and i wanted to see it on DVD, well anyways i generally dont buy reissues, depending, but i am NOT completely sure if i will buy the better edition of WOH, but if it truly does have a better edition, i will surely buy it

15. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

By the way, i dont buy reissues regarding bonus material, but regarding quality, that is what DVD is all about, and i will surely buy a better edition of WOH, if there is a betted picture, by the way, does anybody know where can i find a Region free Japanese disc of the movie?, that would prevent me from buying the reissue

16. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

17. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

It would be nice, that ALL DVDs were made in Japan, brought from their own masters or depending of the nacionality of the film

18. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I agree that it would be great if all anime discs looked as good as the R2's, but unless the way things are licensed in Japan changes it's not likely. The anime companies here get a master when they procure a license and that's it most times. If they want a new master they have to renegotiate, and sometimes pay big money, for it from what I understand. Most of these shows were licensed for VHS releases and sometimes the quality of the master shows that.

I forgot about the problems with Ninja Scroll, they were so long ago.

I agree that it would be nice to see them get their act together as far as release dates go.

I also agree that when they saw how bad WOH looked they should have just told fans that it wouldn't be coming pending their getting a new master from Japan.

Now if we could just get CPM to redo the first Slayers set.

19. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Actually, I believe CPM is redoing the Slayers set. If you check their webpage here:
    https://secure.centralparkmedia.com/...series=slayers
    You will see there are 2 slayers dvd collections listed, one with the word Enhanced. The release date is listed as 6/11/02.
    Regarding Macross +, even after the remaster, it is still messed up. On the 5.1 English track, you now have sound coming out of the center channel, but you also have the same sounds coming out of the left/right when you shouldn't. It's a pretty odd sounding effect and is fairly annoying. iirc, the original problem was not having a center channel at all.

20. Jeff Kleist

Only the first pressing of Honneamise in Japan was region free. The region 2 versions run around $100

Yes, the quality of the domestic master is variable. Basically the more quality you want, the more you pay. Most of them have masters intended for VHS or possibly LD use, and getting new masters requires new contracts