What's new

Roy Rogers in TruColor and Uncut (2 Viewers)

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Love all the pictures! Those Dixie premiums were a rather popular collectible about 30 or 40 years ago. I ran across a good number of older folks collecting them. But they gradually seemed to fall by the wayside, with movie-memorabilia collectors zeroing in more on things like lobby cards, stills, and one-sheets, as the years went by. I only have three of those Dixie premiums myself, but one is of Roy Rogers. It must be from 1940, as it's touting "Dark Command" (1940) on the backside. The others I have are of George O'Brien, and one of The Three Mesquiteers (the Bob Steele, Bob Livingston, Rufe Davis configuration). One thing I always liked about these is the inclusion of the various studios' individual logos on the sides.

I did recently watch a Roy Rogers film, although one in which he just had a brief guest-star role. It was Republic's A-level musical production "Lake Placid Serenade" (1944). Roy popped in and sang "Walking in a Winter Wonderland." Of course, the movie was primarily a big, splashy introductory showcase for Vera Ralston. It was a generally pleasant affair. I know, we always need to grade Ralston on a curve, but she was perfectly adequate. Ralston indeed gets a lot of flak nowadays, but oddly enough, when I used to hear her mentioned by older hometown-type folks who recalled her films new and first-run, her name always seemed to generate some genuine and nostalgic affection. It always surprised me a bit. Oh, I like her well enough (although Monogram's skating star Belita already stole my heart first, when it comes to the ice-rink milieu).

As for "Lake Placid Serenade" (1944), it sported some nice bits of photography (no wonder, it was shot by John Alton, of all people). The leading man was Bob Livingston, who'd left behind that John Paul Revere series started with Eddie Dew, and was transitioning away from westerns at this time. For some groansome cornball yuks, we get the trio of Walter Catlett, Vera Vague, and William Frawley, all doing their thing. We also get Republic regular Stephanie Bachelor here, but somehow she doesn't get around to killing anyone. Perhaps if the running-time had been a little longer she might have had time to off someone. Preferably Catlett. The delightful Ruth Terry is always welcome, and here played one of Vera's cousins, but it was a pretty minor role. We don't even get a song from her. Eugene Pallette, Lloyd Corrigan, and John Litel all adeptly doing character parts, and we also get several specialty acts. I was glad to see Ray Noble and his Orchestra. I think he was probably still with the Edgar Bergen radio show at the time. I have several Noble CDs, encompassing both his earlier band in Britain, as well as his American one after he came here in the mid-1930s. That latter band was initially organized by Glenn Miller, before he hit it big himself. But enough rambling trivia. Anyway, I rather wish we could have gotten "Lake Placid Serenade" on blu, back around the time Olive put out "Brazil" (1944-Rep), with its similar Roy Rogers guest spot. Not that "Placid" is really anything all that special, but it's pleasant and easy-going fare.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
1701331629633.png

1701331728396.png

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Roy Rogers with Herbert Yates and Vera Ralston, in front of a poster for ICE CAPADES REVUE-1942.
00  Roy Rogers with Herbert Yates and Vera Ralston.jpg

1  Ice Capades Revue- 1942.jpg

Vera Ralston.
1a.jpg

King Roy and Queen Vera in LAKE PLACID SERENADE-1944.
2 Roy Rogers and Vera Ralston Lake Placide Serenade 1942.jpg

3 Lake Placid Serenade 1944.jpg

4  vera-ralston-.jpg

5 vera-ralston.jpg

6 vera-ralston.jpg

7  True Story Feb 51.jpg

8  vera-ralston.jpg

Vera with Wild Bill Elliott and The Sons of the Pioneers for WYOMING-1947.
9 WBE Vera Ralston and the SOPioneers for Wyoming.jpg

In WYOMING Vera plays both Wild Bill's wife and, later, her look-a-like daughter.
10 vera_ralston_wild_bill_elliott01.jpg

Vera Ralston made 26 movies for Republic Studios. Five of them were 3-color Trucolors. (Just to confuse you, Republic Home Video released colorized versions of DAKOTA-1945 and THE FIGHTING KENTUCKIAN-1949.)

FAIR WIND TO JAVA-1953.
TR1 Fair Wind To Java 1953.jpg

JUBILEE TRAIL-1954.
TR2 Jubilee Trail 1954.jpg

TIMBERJACK-1955.
TR3 Timberjack 1955.jpg

ACCUSED OF MURDER-1956.
TR4 Accused of Murder 1956.jpg

SPOILERS OF THE FOREST-1957.
TR5 Spoilers of the Forest 1957.jpg

Some Vera Ralston titles are streaming at Amazon. Many are on DVD in Europe. At least 15 of her movies are up at YouTube. A couple have been released on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Olive released HOODLUM EMPIRE-1952.
Olive.jpg

Kino released Vera's last movie, on Blu-Ray, THE MAN WHO DIED TWICE-1958.
The Man Who Died Twice 1958.jpg

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Roy Rogers illustrated Whitman book. Might be a Christmas story, Well, snow anyway.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3 At the Lane Ranch.jpg

Penny Edwards and Geraldine Brooks.
4 Penny Edwards and.jpg

The second unit on location doubles for Jeff Hunter and John Wayne. "The Searchers".
5.png

6.jpg

7.png

Of course, Republic did the same for many of Roy's later movies and other Republic westerns. TV shows like "The Lone Ranger" did it too. I don't think Roy's TV series did it.

These Roy Rogers comics were available at various stores. I wonder if they were free?
8.jpg

Last edited:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Seeing Noah Beery, Jr. in Roy Rogers' "The Carson City Kid" (1940-Rep) reminded me of what a strong affiliation Beery had with the b-western genre. Beery similarly supported Tom Mix in "Rustler's Roundup" (1933-Univ) and John Wayne in "The Trail Beyond" (1934-Mon), among others. We have Beery sharing the lead with Jimmy Rogers in those three western-comedy Hal Roach Streamliners (1942-43), which ClassicFlix happily released on dvd a while back. A young Beery was also the star of the "Heroes of the West" (1932-Univ) serial, with leading-lady Jacqueline Wells (curiously billed as Diane Duval). It's an enjoyable, if routine cliffhanger. Beery also had key supporting roles in several other western serials, like "Overland Mail" (1942-Univ), "Fighting With Kit Carson" (1933-Mascot), and "Riders of Death Valley" (1941-Univ). Beery was also Buck Jones' son-in-law, in real life. Thus, a whole lot of b-western connections. But Beery also starred in a couple of cheap western indies that I was completely unaware of:

'FIVE BAD MEN' (1935)
'DEVIL'S CANYON' (1935)

These were produced by an outfit called Sunset Productions, but I'm not at all convinced they are related to the Sunset Productions of the 1920s, headed by Anthony J. Xydias, who produced a lot of very low-budget westerns. I'm not sure these two above Beery features even survive. I've certainly never encountered them before. They seem to have the usual cast of low-rent veteran western performers.

But Beery, Jr., also did star in a few somewhat higher-profile studio westerns, including the excellent, horse-themed "Stormy" (1935-Univ). In it, he played an orphan stable-hand who takes a job on a ranch owned by two brothers, the kindly J. Farrell MacDonald, and the mean, ornery Fred Kohler. It's a beautifully lensed film with some marvelous location work, including some amazing scenes of some wild horse herds, the largest I've ever seen on film. Quite breathtaking. The leading-lady is Jean Rogers, looking positively dreamy, a few months before Universal shot her into outer-space. "Stormy" is a real unsung gem of a movie, which I'd probably rank in a top-ten list of 1930s westerns, especially in terms of the genre's milieu and atmosphere, if not necessarily narratively.

Another Universal western that Beery headlined was "Forbidden Valley" (1938-Univ). Fred Kohler was once again the main villain, and the story also involved wild horses to a certain degree. Otherwise, the two films are quite different, plotwise. Beery plays the son of a fugitive in a wilderness hideout who eventually goes to town to try to clear his father's name. A 'contemporary' western, the film is peppy and pleasantly diverting, but lacks the sublime nature of 'Stormy.' Frances Robinson is the romantic interest here. Always liked her from the "Tim Tyler's Luck" (1937-Univ) serial, as well as her fun turn in "The Lone Wolf Keeps a Date" (1940-Col). But her career never really took off much. Another Noah Beery Jr. film from Universal from around this time is "Trouble at Midnight" (1937), but it's not really a western at all. A contemporary small-town crime tale involving the rustling of dairy cows. It's a tolerable enough film, although rather cliched. Haven't watched it in a number of years. I mainly remember it for giving a good role to Larry Blake, who was always an enjoyable character actor, and quite busy in these Universal b-films from around this time.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Some visuals for Bert's "Stormy" post.

1.jpg

Raymond Hatton and J. Farrell MacDonald with Jean Rogers. Didn't MacDonald have a great voice.
2.jpg

Noah Beery, Jr. with Jean Rogers.
3.jpg

Noah Beery, Sr. was in nine Republic productions. Noah Beery, Jr. was in three Republic pictures.

THE CARSON CITY KID-1940, See Post #418, page 21.

FLIGHT AT MIDNIGHT-1939.
4 flight-at-midnight-us-poster-from-left-jean-parker-phil-regan-.jpg

THE SAVAGE HORDE-1950 with Wild Bill Elliott.
5  the-savage-horde-.jpg

Almost thirty years after "Stormy", Beery was still playing the experienced old hand who knew his stuff in western movies and TV series like "Hondo"-1967.
6.jpg

Jean Rogers only made one movie for Republic in 1946. An ice hockey epic.
7 Gay Blades 1946 Allan Lane and Jean Rogers.jpg

8 Jean_Rogers_1930s_and_1940s_16.jpg

9 Jean_Rogers_1930s_and_1940s_20.jpg

10 Jean_Rogers_1930s_and_1940s_26.jpg

11 Jean Rogers.gif

12 Jean Rogers.jpg

George Montgomery was not the only star who wore big hats.
13.jpg

14.jpg

I remember seeing an eighties TV commercial where an older couple was discussing their insurance needs on a golf course. I thought the wife was played by Jean Rogers but maybe it was Marjorie Reynolds, (or neither of them.).

Marjorie Reynolds. Marjorie Reynolds appeared with Roy Rogers in, ROBIN HOOD OF THE PECOS-1941. See: Post #564, page 29.
15 Marjorie Reynolds.jpg

16 stormy-us-poster-from-left-jean-rogers-noah-berry-jr-1935-.jpg

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
This Friday, GRIT is showing the first expanded feature version of Disney's "Texas John Slaughter" series. I think there were at least four of them released theatrically here and in the rest of the world. Released on VHS in the 80s.
a 1b Texas John Slaughter.jpg

This 74-minute feature is a combination of the first two "Texas John Slaughter" episodes. GRIT will run it three times. Friday Jan. 12, 8PM to 10PM.
Monday Jan. 15, 9AM to 11AM.
Sunday Jan. 21, 12:30AM to 2:30AM.

b 1a Texas John Slaughter.jpg

I found some posters and VHS case art for the others.

"Gunfight at Sandoval" 72-minutes. Made from "Slaughter" episodes three and four. VHS case. With Beverly Garland.
2 (2).jpg

"Stampede at Bitter Creek"- 69-minutes. Compiled from episodes five and six.
c 3 stampede1.jpg

e 3rd.jpg

f.jpg

"Geronimo's Revenge"- runtime? Made from the episode "Geronimo's Revenge" and another.
d 4 Geronimo's Revenge.jpg

German DVD.
g German DVD Geronimo's Revenge.jpg

There were 17 episodes made for "Walt Disney Presents" for 'Frontier Land'. Elfego Baca, Swamp Fox, Daniel Boone, and The Saga of Andy Burnett had smaller numbers of episodes. They were all filmed in color but broadcast in black and white.

They were finally broadcast in color on Vault Disney and are on YouTube.

"Texas John Slaughter" starred Tom Tryon, with Harry Carrey, Jr. and Betty Lynn as Slaughter's second wife.
Tom Tryon Harry Carey Jr.jpg

Betty Lynn 2.jpg

i 45 record.jpg

j Texas John Slaughter.jpg

h.jpg

I'd like to think this showing, on GRIT, of the "Texas John Slaughter" feature means that the color Disney western mini-series may show up on GRIT, (or at least the other feature versions), in newer prints, than the old YouTubes derived from old home recordings from Vault Disney.

z Texas John Slaughter.jpg

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
They didn't use the Stan Jones vocal version of the "Texas John Slaughter" theme song on the feature.
This album version is a little different than the one used on the TV episodes. (I am puzzled that IMDB refers to these early ABC "Walt Disney Presents" episodes as "The Magic of Walt Disney".)

Stan Jones.

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Ran across a later Republic western on GRIT, yesterday.

HELL'S CROSSROADS-1957, B&W.
1.jpg

I joined it in progress and thought it was pretty good.

It's the old Jesse James story, told through the point of view of a gang member and Bob Ford and his family.

It was in widescreen on GRIT. One of the new Paramount restorations?

I looked at the YouTube version to see what I missed. The YouTube version had the opening credits and the closing Eagle logo in widescreen. But in between it was pillar-boxed and the sides lost a lot of picture info. i.e. Back of heads cropped out.

With Peggy Castle, Harry Shannon, Stephen McNally, and Robert Vaughn.
2.jpg

3.jpg

It's fun to see Vaughn in westerns.
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.png

Busier version of poster.
7.jpg

Found the uncut version of Roy's RAINBOW OVER TEXAS-1946 over at archive.org.

8.jpg

I talked about RAINBOW OVER TEXAS way back in 2018 in Post #202 back on page 11 of this thread.

There's a fun muscical number, (among many), at the 27:00 minute mark with Roy and the Republic dancers headed by JoAnn Dean.

Roy and JoAnn Dean.
9.jpg

10.jpg

Second from the left here is Republic bad guy, Kenne Duncan, on a publicity tour for RAINBOW OVER TEXAS. (Are the others fans or his family?)
11 Kenne Duncan.jpg

12.jpg

Last edited:

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
With the excellent and unexpected news of the upcoming blue ray release of Colt 45 tv series I am hoping more WB classic tv westerns will come out on blu.I think my top two wishes are Maverick and Lawman.If I had to choose between them I think I would pick Lawman.My profile avatar was inspired by Marshal Dan Troop.I have both series on dvd.If 1 or both become available to stream in HD that will be awesome!
1705660247131.png
1705660202648.png
1705660020321.png
1705660046689.png

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Say Clark when you say your avatar was inspired by Dan Troop, do you mean you painted it?

If yes or no what was the painting for?

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Bob I did not paint that but I am a big fan of western art..A few months ago I decided to change my profile avatar to some artwork western themed.I had recently rewatched some of The Lawmans first episodes and decided to look for something similar to Dan Troops look- white shirt,black string tie light colored cowboy hat.As soon as i saw it I thought thats it perfect! Below is my first profile avatar drawing. that i also found online when I joined the forum 2 years ago.

Attachments

• 1705817755367.png
    1705817755367.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Randolph Scott played a different character in the 1950 Warner Bros. "Colt .45" movie. Not 'Chris Colt' of the "Colt .45"-1957-60, TV series. The "Colt .45" movie had the title changed to "Thundercloud" for TV showings to avoid confusion with the TV series. (Scott's "Sugarfoot"-1951 became "Swirl of Glory".)

1 Ruth Roman Randolph Scott Colt.45.jpg

Some of the "Colt .45" posters showed Randolph Scott using Colt.45s, but in the movie he and Zachary Scott carried the Walker Colt.44 Dragoon model.
2 Zachary Scott and Randolph Scott.jpg

3 Colt .45-1950 Randolph Scott with Walker Colt .44 Dragoon.jpg

They didn't really show what pistols everyone else in the movie carried. Appears to be a single shot pistol,
Randolph Scott with Alan Hale and Walter Coy with pistols.
4  Alan Hale Randolph Scott Walter Coy.jpg

Colt history from a Dell "Colt .45" TV series comic book.
5  Colt History Dell Colt.45 Comic feature.jpg

Randolph Scott with Gene Autry.
6  Randolph Scott with Gene Autry.jpg

Colt .45 collector's item for the movie.
7 Colt.45.jpg

8 Colt.45 Ruth Roman Randolph Scott.jpg

Roy Rogers and Trigger with The Sons of the Pioneers in the "Hollywood Canteen"-1944.

Funny the Andrew Sisters would sing the same song, in "Hollywood Canteen.

For fun: Bing and the Andrew Sisters in "The Road to Rio"-1947.

Last edited:

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
To amend something I mentioned in my previous post, I'm now leaning to believe that producer Anthony J. Xydias was indeed involved in those two 1935 Noah Beery Jr. indies. Although he wasn't as active as he'd been in the 1920s, Xydias did have that "Heroes of the Alamo" (1937) release, starring Rex Lease and Lane Chandler, which was produced still using his old Sunset Productions moniker (although picked up for distribution by Columbia). So, he and 'Sunset' were still an ongoing factor when the Beery films were made.

Watched two more of Dale Evans' pre-Roy films at Republic. One was "Here Comes Elmer" (1943-Rep), which was the first vehicle the studio made spotlighting radio comedian Al Pearce, whom we discussed a bit earlier in the thread. It was a pretty silly affair, with Pearce doing double-duty, playing himself and his dopey salesman alter-ego, Elmer Blurt. Lots of mistaken identity gags and running around. It's a lively film, if nothing else. Dale Evans played a secretary, and the romantic interest of Frank Albertson. The cast was chock full of radio-show guests and other familiar faces. You had vaudevillan Wally Vernon, fresh off the Don 'Red' Barry western series; Pinky Tomlin, the omnipresent 1930s songwriter/personality; Artie Auerbach, better-known as 'Mr. Kitzel' on Jack Benny's show; Nat King Cole and the King Cole Trio had a musical number; Gloria Stuart, still looking quite lovely, played Pearce's girlfriend. Slews of folks all us movie buffs know well, like Tom Kennedy, Ben Weldon, Thurston Hall, Chester Clute, etc. As with all these b-musical comedies of this era, it featured a name big-band, Jan Garber, this time during his 'swing' period. Garber was known for switching back-and-forth in styles a bit, from a hot band to a sweet band. He had a pretty hot, jazzy dance-band in the 1920s (I've always particularly liked his 1928 recording of "Since My Best Gal Turned Me Down"). His band went sweet in the 1930s, but went to swing in the wartime 1940s, and then back into Guy Lombardo mode after the war.

The other film with Dale Evans, "Swing Your Partner" (1943-Rep) was another rather ensemble musi-comedy, but featured her a bit better. The plot was cribbed somewhat from the earlier classic "The Devil and Miss Jones" (1941), but it was basically just a framework for a lot of music and comedy schtick. Ornery old Esther Dale plays a corporate head of a dairy outfit who takes a lowly job in one of her small-town dairies to ferret out an employee who maligned her. Dale Evans is her young secretary who accompanies her. It's actually a pretty nice little b-film, for what it is. Getting a big spotlight in the film is the country-music duo Lulu Belle and Scotty, popular on radio, and doing quite pleasantly here, as dairy employees. Vera Vague, a common sight in these Republics, is here too, and in rather good form, doing her man-chasing routine. Radio folks like Ransom Sherman and Harry 'Pappy' Cheshire have roles. Shug Fisher, of the Sons of the Pioneers, and frequent sight in Roy Rogers films (along with being Shorty Kellems many years later in 'Beverly Hillbillies'), plays a train depot ticketmaster here. I really should try to look at the radio-heavy Republic musi-comedies from this period as (perhaps) a little distinctive series, of sorts. I need to check and see if they share the same producer and such. Items like "Hoosier Holiday" (1943), "Jamboree" (1944), etc.. They seem to share a lot in common.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks