What's new

Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In subscription discs... (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
www.laughinvideos.com

The thing is I wonder whether they are full one-hour episodes. I saw at the bottom of the page that Rhino Home Video actually made the discs. I hope they are not 22-minute cutdowns like The Flip Wilson Show was. :angry:

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
It sounds like a "greatest hits" type of compilation rather than full episodes. Too bad...

Rob

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Man-o-man, I love this show. Probably the closest thing to Python-esque humor on American TV. I hope it gets a proper release.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Well, I've been hooked ever since Time Warner forced my family to switch to digital cable, where the show airs in the proper one-hour length on Trio (supposedly missing nothing except the sponsor plugs).

Would I buy season sets in a heartbeat? You bet your sweet bippy I would.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I don't know if I'd pick up season sets but I would certainly go for a best of compilation - as long as it wasn't some 60m quickie job but a true Best Of irregardless of length.

-paul
Do you believe in the hereafter?
Yes.
Then you know what I'm here after!
(slays the wife everytime)

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I saw the infomercial for these the other night, and it was impossible for me to tell from that whether these had complete episodes or not. At a couple points, they claimed that each DVD had 2 complete episodes, but at other times they indicated they were compilations.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Peter, I got mine yesterday and they are two complete episodes, supposedly uncut.

Anyway, if you want this collection, I suggest you go ahead and buy it because:

1. Season sets of variety shows may not ever be considered by anyone.

2. Season sets of Laugh-In would stop with season 5 out of 6 anyway, since producer/copyright holder George Schlatter was not involved in the final season, and hates the last 24 episodes with a passion. Thus, they have not been seen since their original airings, not even in clip shows.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hey, maybe you guys don't need to subscribe after all. Check out the DVDEmpire listing for the Laugh-In boxed set! :eek:

VERY bare on info, but the fact that it's coming is interesting in itself, eh? I'd hold off on the subscription until we learn more.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I found this picture/caption (no article, at least that I can spot) over at Video Business magazine's website (registration required):

[c]http://www.videobusiness.com/images/baker&tomlin.jpg
Warner Strategic Marketing senior VP Jeff Baker met with Lily
Tomlin at a TV industry celebration of Rowan & Martin's
Laugh-In, on DVD and in stores from Rhino in May.
[/c]

:) Another sure sign...

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
David,

May I ask, do you have cable in your home, or is your DVD collection a substitute? My roommate and I have collected films, music, animation, documentaries, and TV shows on video and laserdisc for years, but the explosion in TV on DVD and the ease of collecting our favorite shows have caused us to get rid of cable. (We still get HBO 3 out of every 16 months, I'll let you guess which months those are. :) ) LAUGH-IN was on the list of things I did miss about cable. Is anyone else in the same boat?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David,

May I ask, do you have cable in your home, or is your DVD collection a substitute?
My DVD collection is a substitute. 1,927 DVDs means we have enough entertainment without paying for cable or satellite. Besides, it would be a distraction from talking on the HTF. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks