What's new

Rotten Tomatoes 200 Essential Movies! (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Fandango is offering a rental promotion for this listing of Rotten Tomatoes 200 Essential Movies.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/st...udkFGN2o0ckZPMmZaOEhETHFkUkw2T0xaZ1ZrVGVOTCJ9

The top 25 movies on Rotten Tomatoes’ “200 Essential Films to Watch Now” list are:

1. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
2. Citizen Kane (1941)
3. The Third Man (1949)
4. Get Out (2017)
5. Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
6. All About Eve (1950)
7. Inside Out (2015)
8. The Godfather (1972)
9. Metropolis (1927)
10. E.T. — The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
11. It Happened One Night (1934)
12. Singin' in the Rain (1952)
13. Casablanca (1942)
14. Moonlight (2016)
15. A Hard Day's Night (1964)
16. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937)
17. North by Northwest (1959)
18. The Maltese Falcon (1941)
19. King Kong (1933)
20. Sunset Boulevard (1950)
21. The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)
22. Psycho (1960)
23. Selma (2014)
24. Rear Window (1954)
25. Taxi Driver (1976)

The full list is linked below:

https://www.fandangonow.com/list/200-essential-movies

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I haven't watched Get Out yet so I can't comment on that particular film. There are some other listed films in the top 25, I'm not sure about, but it's all a matter of opinion anyway.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I haven't watched Get Out yet so I can't comment on that particular film. There are some other listed films in the top 25, I'm not sure about, but it's all a matter of opinion anyway.
I was a big fan of Get Out but it's just silly to put it on the same level as nearly every other movie on that list. The same for Fury Road- it's cool movie and I'm a fan but talk to me in a couple decades when it's stood the test of time.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I was a big fan of Get Out but it's just silly to put it on the same level as nearly every other movie on that list. The same for Fury Road- it's cool movie and I'm a fan but talk to me in a couple decades when it's stood the test of time.
Agree on Get Out(which I liked a lot)

Disagree (of course) on Fury Road. Absolutely deserves to be on that list. Maybe higher. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Of course I do. I just didn't add "in my opinion" because you didn't. ;)
Yeah, but I acknowledged your high opinion of that film, but it's one that I don't share, but do appreciate it's a fine film. Matter of fact, once I noticed Fury Road's high ranking, I knew this line of discussion would be taking place with you because I know you love this film.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
There are plenty here who didn't like it at all. I have no issue with them. As long as it's an informed opinion it's a valid one.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I'm surprised you haven't seen this yet Robert. It's the most successful film of the year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are plenty here who didn't like it at all. I have no issue with them. As long as it's an informed opinion it's a valid one.
Hell, I bought this title twice on disc, 3-D and 4K/UHD so I do think it's a high quality film.

With that said, there isn't a film on that 200 list that doesn't have some detractors. It's just the way it is.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm surprised you haven't seen this yet Robert. It's the most successful film of the year.
I was about to buy the BD, but was waiting on the pricing to drop then they announced the 4K/UHD disc so I'll wait until that drops in price to buy it.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
Does anyone know if the list is available some other way? I get an error saying Fandangonow is not available in my area, so it doesn't let me see the list.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Just because "critics" and/or visitors at Rotten Tomatoes rate a film highly doesn't make it "essential." IMHO a film can't begin to be considered "essential" until it's been at least a decade or more since its release. Basically, it must stand the "test of time" before I'll give it a second look on such lists.

That said, there are quite a few films in the Top 25 I absolutely do not like. BUT I own copies of all of those films as they are true classics and I try to introduce my kids/grandkids to those films every chance I get. Just because I don't like it shouldn't negate them getting a fair viewing to decide for themselves. I go to great pains to not let them know how I feel until after they've seen any "essential" film so as to not color their opinion.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Dude, Where's My Car? Not on the list ... Really Dudes? ;)

Of the top 25, I have all but the most recent one on bluray :cool:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
An impressive list but they are all

Internet problem stopped me finishing my post: An impressive list but not one film in the top 25 films listed, appears on my all-time top 10 films. Only one of my top 10 is an English language film-LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks