What's new

Rotel RSX1055 (1 Viewer)

Jed

Grip
After considering what I have read on this forum and performing an in-person test of the receiver, I bought the RSX 1055. I am a former Denon owner, and though I really liked my AVR3800, the Rotel brought out sounds in some CDs that I have never heard before. I thought I would take advantage of that and make the jump. Also, it didn't help that Denon equipment was hard to find here in South Florida. As a matter of fact, I have yet to find a retailer carrying the line.

I hope it works out once I get it home. I need to work out my speaker situation (basically I have none - only my old RTA11ts that need new drivers), and any advice from those who have used Rotel equipment before would be helpful.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Rotel sucks....Its the worst crap since KLH....Might as well just get Bose, this way when people ask about your system, you can proudly say you got bose, and the real audiophiles can pity you and blame the marketing...

just kidding. I like my 1055...besides having very good 2 channel sound, good features (though not the most), a better than expected remote, upgradeability and good looks, it has one nice side benefit. Rotel doesn't come out with a new model every year like a lot of brands, this helps you feel like your stuff is on top of the curve and stems some of the upgraditis bug...

now to answer your question....it would help a lot more if you said what your listening preferences are in term of both music/hometheater/multi-channel music and in terms of type of music, the size of your room, and your budget.

B&W (if you got the money, look at the 700 series, if you dont, look for a phase out on the cdms, the 604s arent bad either)
Kef (similar to B&W, nice stuff, harder to find, can get better deals)
Paradigm Reference series
PSB (their new platinum series)
Triangle (I have heard some of them, and they blew me away, i really believe they are better than any speaker i have heard in the same price range.)
Martin Logans (but you might want a separate amp)

There are a ton...

Rich

josh.s

Auditioning
I also picked up a 1055 a couple weeks ago and I absolutely love it. At the same time I order a pair of Magnepan MMG's direct from Magnepan after auditioning the 1055 with a pair of MG12's. Much to my delight the MMG's sound the same as the MG12's that I auditioned. Perhaps if my HT room were bigger it would help to have the MG12's. Before I made any purchases I also listened to some B&W's, which many people say mate very very well with Rotel gear, and I obviously chose Magnepan over them. Sorry I can't remember the B&W model number, but that's because I was so blown away by the Maggie sound.

Rich is right that it would help to know things like listening preferences, room size, and budget. You'll also find that people around here will suggest that you audition as many speakers as you possibly can and decide for yourself. I'm newly in love with Magnepan, so I'll at least suggest that you audition them if at all possible and at $550/pair the MMG's are going to be pretty hard to beat. Since you're posting at the home theater forum and you said you don't have any speakers, you're probably looking for more than a pair. They also offer larger packages. You probably can't go wrong with the brands that Rich mentioned, but I thought I'd throw in another.

Victor Chan

Stunt Coordinator
Been a Rotel RSX-1055 owner for almost a year now and am extremely pleased with the performance of the unit. As the previous members advised, probably the best thing you can do is just listen to a lot of different speakers mated to the RSX-1055 to see what sounds best to you.

Personally, I am running the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 speakers. Not much to look at, but the best sounding speakers I've heard at under $1000 a pair.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks