What's new

Dedicated Home Theatre Remodel: Work in Progress (1 Viewer)

jferrill

Auditioning
Real Name
Justin Ferrill
I’ve been lurking here for a long time, soaking up information whenever possible and gathering ideas I had hoped to put into play a year from now when I remodeled my basement. Nature however, had a different plan…

A month back, during a particularly nasty storm here in the Midwest, my sump-pump decided to die, quietly, calmly and without alerting me. The net result was 1 to 1.5 inches of standing water in 1500 of my 1800 square foot of finished basement space. Needless to say, I was not a happy man.

We had a spare bedroom, a family room, a home office and a large game room with bar that flooded. All carpet was pulled and plaster walls cut to the studs for repair. With this much work needed I decided that now was a good time to move forward with the theatre, and do it as well as I could without going over the top for our home.

I really should have taken some W.I.P. pictures as things went along beause we’ve come a very long way with the room. I simply don’t have the time to do much of the work myself, so almost everything is being done by contractors and home theatre installers. I will post some before shots and some after shots once the theatre is complete (roughly a week and half from now). Because the room is directly under my 2 year old sons room and what will be our newborn infants room, we spent a significant amount of money getting the room as soundproof as possible. We used cascade audio’s de-coupling barrier/sound barrier around the room in addition to rock wool & extra insulation all over the place. We had all HVAC duct work etc. sprayed to deaden the sound and finished the structure with one layer of 5/8 sheetrock and one layer of ½ inch sheetrock. That was a total of 104 pieces of sheetrock!

Most of that is now in place with only the accoustic glue for edges and seams to go (which will be done today apparently). As of Friday, there were five workers in the room hammering, drilling and cutting along with a radio playing loudly. I took this opportunity to test the soundproofing and walked into my son’s bedroom and placed my ear directly on the vent in his floor. This vent was directly beneath the spot they were drilling and at the time, the section only had the first layer of drywall up; I’m happy to say I could only here a heavily muffled “buzzing” as they drilled into the de-coupling barrier on the floor joists. When I pulled my head away and stood in the center of the room there was almost no evidence of the work going on below. Very impressive!

As for equipment I’ve been relying on what I like the sound of, and the expertise of my local store owner. Given my budget, this is what we are going with;

Vidikron Vision Model 50
Screen Research Classic Accoustically transparent fixed screen (16X9)
Control 4 HT controller
Rotel RSX1055 (my existing receiver)
Supplimenting the above with Integra ADM21 amp
Jamo D7LCR wall mounted speakers
JL Audio F113 subwoofer
Sony DVP 400 disc changer so I can finally stop sorting thru our immense catalog by hand!

Obviously theres an assortment of other little odds and ends as well, and likely something I’m forgetting but that’s the meat of the fun stuff. Linear filtering, the equipment racks and shelves etc. are all included as well but I’m uncertain on brands there. The theatre will be used for movies, nightly HD viewing (HBO, Showtime, etc.), and of course video gaming (Xbox 360/Wii/PS3)

I’ve attached a before picture of the room from two different angles. Tonight I’ll take a shot of the room as it is now from the same angles with some explanation as to what we did. I’ll try to update the thread as it comes together as things will be moving along quickly in the next week or so.

If anyone has any comments, tips or reviews for me on the equipment or anything I’d really appreciate the input.

Now to decide which movie will make opening night…

As you enter the former game room from our family room, this is what you would have seen;

Here is a picture facing the back of the room, (bar). The new screen is going to be situated where the camera is shooting from in this picture;

EDIT: Apparently I'm not allowed to post pictures yet, I need additional posts! That will teach me to lurk and keep quiet! Ah well, I suppose I'll update this thread in time.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
You're not alone. :)
In fact, our moderator Patrick Sun had some flooding too, a few weeks back. He posted about it in another thread. But yours is much more dramatic!

Good luck with the repairs and the reconstruction!

Cees

kisha12

Auditioning
Real Name
kishan
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif
THANX
THANX

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks