What's new

Rotel RMB-1095 v. Denon AVR-5800 (1 Viewer)

Jerry Raupp

Auditioning
I need some input...

I am trying to decide between buying the RMB-1095 and using my Sony STR-DB840 as a pre-pro for the time being (to be upgraded in about a year or so) or getting a AVR-5800 as a all in one solution.

Some advantages as I see them:

RMB-1095

Less expensive in the short term

Better sounding amplifier section

Waiting a year for new pre/pro gets me the latest technology

AVR-5800

Better sounding than the Sony as a pre/pro

Latest technology now and upgradable

Less expensive than seperates in the long term

I will be driving B&W Nautilus 804s front and rear with an HTM1 center and a pair of Paradign Servo-15s.

So, what would you do and why? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
Jerry I more or less had the same decision to make. I replaced the amp section of my Yamaha DSP A-1 with the Rotel 1095 and used the Yamaha as a prepro until last month when I replaced it with an Anthem AVM 20. You will notice a big improvement in sound with the Rotel. High quality seperates will sound better than a High end reciever in my opinion, plus you have the flexibility to upgrade either component later if you feel the need to.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
I'd go the seperates route. That way your getting gear that you can keep a long time, instead of replacing every couple of years. I have a 1095 and is GREAT. Now I need a real pre/pro.

Dennis,

I'm about to pull the trigger on the AVM20 within the next month, if the demo goes well. Can you describe how the AVM20 sounds with the 1095. My 1095 has warmed up a bit since I first brought it home. Does the AVM20 and the Rotel 1095 make a ggod match?

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
Legairre,

The thing that really stands out about the AVM 20 is the incredible width of the soundstage. I was used to my old Yamaha DSP A-1 in a 7.1 configuration using two additional effects speakers mounted higher and wider than my mains. The AVM 20 gave me the same effct without the other two spakers. Another great feature is the equalization for the center channel speaker very easy to set and very effective. The AVM 20 and the 1095 sound very good together but I found that the interconnects will make a big difference in the sound. I was using Better Cables Silver Serpents but they leaned out the bass and accentuated the highs too much for my taste. I replaced them with Straightwire Rhapsody II's and everything sonded great my bass had returned and the highs were just right. Its a great piece and I reccommend it. The only thing I think they could improve is the remote, it has no macro capability, but if your like me I'm sure you have a good universal remote

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Get the amp Jerry. The denon 5800 amps would be bested by a 400.00 sherwood amp most likely. At least this is the case with my denon 4802. I thought I could get by with using a couple of the internal amps on the denon as they are considered to be good "receiver" amps... but were easily bested by an inexpensive external amp. But The processing on the 4802 is worth the price of admission alone.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Dennis,

Thanks. I went with Evan last night and demoed the AVM20 for about two hours. Your absolutely right about the soundstage. It's large. You had mentioned how in 2 channel mode it seems like more speakers are on. I actually had a hard time telling when the unit was in "all channel" vs "2 channel mode" because it really did seem like more speakers were on. I was also surprised that the unit sounded better in digital than analog.

Thanks

Legairre

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks