What's new

Rotel RB-1080 Vs Rotel RB-991 (1 Viewer)

JohnSC

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone any experience with the RB-991 and RB-1080? My research suggests that the only difference between the two is the 12v trigger input. I can get one here for about half the price of the 1080. My concern is whether the 1080 actually sounds better. On paper, the difference I can see is the damping factor being >500 on the 991 and 1000 on the 1080. Other than that the specs are very similar.

Harold_C

Stunt Coordinator
For half the price, I would buy the used RB-991. The difference in sound quality and performance would be insignificant. I'm sure there are some subtle circuit changes, but it's essentially the same amplifier, in a new package, selling for basically the same pricepoint.

Used wouldn't worry me at all with an amplifier. If it works, it works.

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
The sound quality is much the same. The only difference in construction is I believe a slightly higher-spec'd toroidal transformer, but the star-grounding, circuit layout is pretty similar I believe. I've got the 3 channel RB993, its a great amp, though I am looking for something better once I upgrade my speakers. The Class-A Plinius' look very nice :)
Cheers,
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks