Rotel RB-1080 Vs Rotel RB-991

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnSC, Apr 24, 2002.

1. JohnSC

JohnSC Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone any experience with the RB-991 and RB-1080? My research suggests that the only difference between the two is the 12v trigger input. I can get one here for about half the price of the 1080. My concern is whether the 1080 actually sounds better. On paper, the difference I can see is the damping factor being >500 on the 991 and 1000 on the 1080. Other than that the specs are very similar.

2. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

For half the price, I would buy the used RB-991. The difference in sound quality and performance would be insignificant. I'm sure there are some subtle circuit changes, but it's essentially the same amplifier, in a new package, selling for basically the same pricepoint.

Used wouldn't worry me at all with an amplifier. If it works, it works.

3. Mike_Ch

Mike_Ch Stunt Coordinator

The sound quality is much the same. The only difference in construction is I believe a slightly higher-spec'd toroidal transformer, but the star-grounding, circuit layout is pretty similar I believe. I've got the 3 channel RB993, its a great amp, though I am looking for something better once I upgrade my speakers. The Class-A Plinius' look very nice [​IMG]
    Cheers,
    Mike

4. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

Soundwise there should be no difference in the two.