ROTEL RB-1070 vs ROTEL RB-991

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JohMabe, Nov 10, 2003.

1. JohMabe

JohMabe Stunt Coordinator

Which of these should I buy? Somebody in the forum once said that the 1080 had the same electronics as the 991. This one is a little more expensive than a 1070, but would the extra power, in the end, pay off?

2. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I think the only difference, other than watts per channel, is that all the Rotel 10xx series have 12-volt triggers as an option for powering on. The 991 may be from an older series that didn't include the on-off trigger. Sonically, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

3. JohMabe

Nice...but would the 991's 200w make a huge difference over the 1070's 130w?

4. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

That depends on your speakers. I thought about increasing the wattage to my Nautilus 804 speakers in my dedicated stereo system. Right now I have a 100-wpc Classe integrated amp powering them. To my surprise, the salespeople that I regularly deal with discouraged me from buying a bigger amp. They said I wouldn't notice a difference with the 804s because they're not very demanding compared to the larger Nautilus models. Now if I owned Nautilus 803s, I was told, there would be a noticeable difference in going up to 200- or 300-wpc because the 803s are much more demanding on an amp than the 804s. A lot of folks would say go with 200-wpc just for the "headroom'' factor: having lots of power in reserve. I think I have plenty of headroom with 100-wpc.
    Long response.
    Bottom Line: if your speakers aren't power hungry and you don't run your system at high gain for hours on end, in my experience it doesn't make a difference whether it's 200-wpc or 130-wpc.

5. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

It depends on the speakers. Pairing them with Magnepans, which present a fairly benign 4 ohm load, the 981 (1070) and 991 (1080) amplifiers sound identical. The 991 has more headroom... even a bit more than the 200w vs. 130w would suggest, and that is probably because the Maggies are 4 ohm and the 991 has a significantly stiffer power supply section and probably maintains output current better into 4 ohms than the 981.

If you had inefficient speakers that needed the extra current delivery of the 991, then the extra power might be fairly important. If you had reasonably efficient speakers or a small room, then 1070 would probably be enough to drive them to unreasonably loud levels.

One note: I know the 991 and 1080 are essentially the same amplifier as far as circuit topology, etc. I do not know for sure if that is the case with the 981 and 1070, though I wouldn't expect any differences that might exist to have an audible impact other than perhaps more or less dynamic headroom if the power supply section changed.

Heh... just noticed Mark's response above. Great minds think alike. [​IMG]

6. JohMabe

Hmm, well,I've got a Dynaudio Audience 120 pair. It's a 6ohm 200w speaker... The RB-1070 probably would handle that, right?

I'd like a good all-around amp for many years. And considering I intend to switch speakers soon, to Paradigm Studio which are alot sensitive, I think the RB-1070 would be ok, aside from supposedly having a better technology.

Nice imput from both of you, Richard and Mark, thanks