What's new

Roseanne Halloween DVD disc.... (1 Viewer)

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
FRIENDS became a soap opera in the last couple of seasons, but were still episodic. It wasn't any more serialistic than Seinfeld was in seasons in the 4th season with the development of the "Jerry" series.

As serialistic as Buffy was, it would also work as a "Best-Of."

I'd say the real shows that don't work like that would be ones like LOST or Veronica Mars (I'd even argue that a best of Season 1 of VM would even work as a DVD set).

BEST OF is meant for people who don't want to spend 20-50 bucks for a whole season of a show. FRIENDS was so popular, I'm willing to bet that those "best of" sets sold a whole lot of copies, especially in the 5.99 bit at Walmart...

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
Well, these people have probably seen the episodes anyway.

So, even for Veronica Mars you could package some fan favourites for those who would like to see some episodes again but don't want to waste money on episodes you've already seen.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

I'd argue that Friends became a soap as early as in season two, considering the entire arc of the first 2/3 of the season was "Rachel wants Ross but can't have him/Rachel and Ross get together but Ross blows it/Ross wants Rachel but can't have her/Rachel and Rodd get together" (if that spoils anything for anyone, I'm sorry, but it's from over a decade ago and I think the Ross/Rachel relationship is pretty common knowledge even to non-fans). Arguably, why spring for the Best Of sets considering that the seasons are offered for $20 or less almost all the time now. Right now Circuit City has all 10 seasons for 16.99 or 17.99. Plus, I looked at the episode listing for the best of sets at Wal-Mart and they actually just threw darts at episode titles, the eps on those sets weren't exactly the most famous ones.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
True, but it's brilliant business.

Buy seasons 1-2 for $59.99. Now we're dropping the price on those two and the further releases are only $39.99.

Now that all of them are out, get this box for all 10 for even cheaper! And now you can get the "Best-Of" sets for each season for only $5.99.

Now you can buy the individual seasons for under $20 a piece!

Sony has done the price-drop thing with Seinfeld being on sale for $20 a set, and fox did it with Buffy and a bunch of other shows.

A Halloween set for ROSEANNE is smart, as would be a Thanksgiving set or Halloween set.

The average person is not a DVD collector. The average person doesn't want to own all 9 seasons of Roseanne. But they'd probably shell out a few bucks to own all the Halloween episodes if it was in the bargain bin at Walmart. That's who this release is for... those people (and die-hards who'll buy ANYTHING that comes out)

For the record, there is a best-of for Buffy "Curse of the Hellmouth" that includes random episodes throughout the series. :) It was a BestBuy exclusive, but it's being released all over now.

ethanTo

Stunt Coordinator
I have a hard time relating to these people, lol. And combined with the internet experience, and boards like these, it is even harder to relate to them or to put myself into that mindset. Certainly not a criticism of those people, it is just so foreign!

I guess they would have an even harder time trying to understand why I was so bothered by Disney's decision to release Goof Troop and Quack Pack in only a 3 random-episode volume, that was never destined for completion. :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm a DVD collector and I still buy "Best-Of's".

As much as I like Friends, I'm not about the shell out hundreds of $$ for every episode. I do it with other shows, but not with Friends. For me, the best of sets were perfect....and again, I am a collector.

With Roseanne, the only reason I didn't start buying the season sets is all due to the syndication issue in the first set. So, by now I'm kind of waiting for a 5 season set to come out (at a lower price), or maybe I'll get this Halloween set...

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
I love Roseanne and can’t wait to get this. I probably would have gotten a couple of season sets, especially with my fav Halloween eps. But, these eps are my favs and to get them all in one shot, so I’m happy with this. So happy its confirmed to have commentary too!!!!

Though, on the new box images, it says only 93 minutes on the back. That’s seems VERY short for 7 episodes, even with commercials taken out.

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
Man, I'm worried now. This isn’t a clip show DVD set is it?

This has to be some error. We need to get some definite confirmation on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks