What's new

Room Analysis Programs Using Laptop- What Is Available? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
What, if anything, is a reliable room analysis(RTA?) program that I can run on my laptop to check room response, speaker placement, sub x-over, etc.?

Does such a thing exist, and if so, what would be involved? I have recently purchased a laptop and want to broaden my horizons in this area. I would imagine several microphones are needed, and who knows what else. I understand there is probably considerable cost involved for some programs, but I'd at least like to look at my options.

Thanks for any suggestions.

MikeNg

Second Unit
Cool stuff. Along the same line, how does one go about determining what acoustical treatments, if any, should be applied to a room, and figuring out which is best? Are there analysis programs for this?

EDIT: In an effort to answer my own question, I found this handy little XLS program that calculates the room modes according to the room dimensions. I suppose this is a starting point in figuring out what to neutralize...
Room Mode Calculator

Mike

PaulT

Supporting Actor
You would use any of the above programs to do sweeps of the room, then decide what you want to treat and how (absorbers at first reflection points, diffusers on rear wall, bass traps, etc etc). Would depend on the results of the sweeps.

For a rather lengthy 30 page post on some of this subject, you could read this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=255432

Realise that quite a few of the guys posting there are manufacturing acoustic products, so some of it you can take with a marketing slant :)

MikeNg

Second Unit
Paul, any good books/online references on the topic?
Don't mean to hijack the thread James. I'll be happy to take a response in PM. BTW, interesting AVS thread.

Thanks.

Mike

JeffreyDurbin

Auditioning
I'm a relative newbie here so it won't let me post a URL to another site but go to the avsforum.com mentioned above and type in thread #529224 for a free room analysis program.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks