What's new

Roger Ebert says Criterion is preparing a release of Cabiria (1914) (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The National Gallery of Art in Washington DC is showing the US premiere of the restoration about three weeks from now. I'm planning on going, so I'll report back here about the print quality.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is exciting news indeed. I remember when I went to film school, in my first semester a professor shows us this. It was from a VHS tape and the quality left a lot to be desired, but despite those limitations, the incredible epic scale of the filmmaking came through loud and clear. I'd love to have an opportunity to watch this film again closer to its original version, and if there are the usual quality Criterion supplements, all the better.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if this is a different restoration than the Kino version (which was the 1990 NYU restoration)? That looked pretty nice, though it did have a few problem areas. See my review at http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showreview.php3?ID=649 for further details.

EDIT:

Ah, now that I've RTFA, I see that this version runs nearly an hour longer (while such measures are dodgy when talking about variable-speed silent films, there's obviously a lot added back in).

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I saw the restored print of Cabiria this past weekend, at the National Gallery of Art. Some of it is still taken from lesser elements, occasionally even fluctuating within the same shot between higher and lower quality. But there isn't too much that's lower quality, just a few short stretches here and there. Most if it looked very, very good, strikingly so for a nearly 100-year-old movie. I can't say that I thought much of the film itself; although it had some effective moments of spectacle, I could barely follow the story, and I didn't get much narrative sense at all from the visuals. But, for those who are fans, the good news is that the new restoration looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks