Roger Ebert says Criterion is preparing a release of Cabiria (1914)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Brandon Conway, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    Great Movies review of the film.

The statement appears at the bottom:

The Criterion Collection is preparing a DVD edition of "Cabiria."

Very cool. Saw this film in a film history class about 3 years ago and thought it was quite spectacular for its day.

2. Simon Howson

Simon Howson Screenwriter

Scorsese will be happy, he raves about it constantly.

3. Haggai

Haggai Producer

The National Gallery of Art in Washington DC is showing the US premiere of the restoration about three weeks from now. I'm planning on going, so I'll report back here about the print quality.

4. David Jay

David Jay Stunt Coordinator

Awesome news. I read about the film in the book, Making Pictures: A Century of European Cinematography and have wanted to see it ever since. But, the current DVD doesn't have the color tinting, so I've been trying to avoid it. I'm glad I have a chance to see it now, with the tinting intact.

5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    This is exciting news indeed. I remember when I went to film school, in my first semester a professor shows us this. It was from a VHS tape and the quality left a lot to be desired, but despite those limitations, the incredible epic scale of the filmmaking came through loud and clear. I'd love to have an opportunity to watch this film again closer to its original version, and if there are the usual quality Criterion supplements, all the better.

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I wonder if this is a different restoration than the Kino version (which was the 1990 NYU restoration)? That looked pretty nice, though it did have a few problem areas. See my review at http://www.digitallyobsessed.com/showreview.php3?ID=649 for further details.

EDIT:

Ah, now that I've RTFA, I see that this version runs nearly an hour longer (while such measures are dodgy when talking about variable-speed silent films, there's obviously a lot added back in).

7. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I saw the restored print of Cabiria this past weekend, at the National Gallery of Art. Some of it is still taken from lesser elements, occasionally even fluctuating within the same shot between higher and lower quality. But there isn't too much that's lower quality, just a few short stretches here and there. Most if it looked very, very good, strikingly so for a nearly 100-year-old movie. I can't say that I thought much of the film itself; although it had some effective moments of spectacle, I could barely follow the story, and I didn't get much narrative sense at all from the visuals. But, for those who are fans, the good news is that the new restoration looks great.