What's new

Robert Redford in "The Natural" was this movie a box office hit? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, it made money! According to IMDB it made 48 million during it's 1984 theatrical release and 25 million in rental income.

Crawdaddy

Bob Gee

Auditioning
It lasted about a week in it's first release.
It did, however get good reviews and succeeded in rental.
It's always been one of my top 10, and I have both Laser Disc and DVD.:emoji_thumbsup:

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Yeah, just got done watching it on AMC. Best I have ever seen it. Only saw it before on video rental. It is such a fun and engaging movie, that I can overlook the horrific lack of ability of the players, and a 50ish Redford playing the part of a 18 to thirthysomething player.
It still is my favorite baseball/sports movie. 61 may be way more accurate, but The Natural is more classy.
If they had wanted a different age correct Aryan character than Redford they could have picked Val Kilmer but for a fantasy who cares.
Kim Basinger did look fine.
Hobbs wonders why he got played by two women. I can only think of two words to explain why. Glenn Close

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"Now batting.....#9....Roy....Hobbs........"
I own both the LD and the DVD - the DVD is Anamorphic Widescreen and looks tremendous - given the age of this film.
Great movie - one of my all time favorites.
I can't decide If I like The Natural or HOOSIERS more - as my all time favorite sports movie.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
The Natural is one of my all time faves. Absolutely terrific film. Hoosiers would be second.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Michael-

I'm especially partial to baseball, so I'd add Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, and Breaking Away (another "Indiana movie" to go with Hoosiers) to that short list of all-time favorite sports movies.

The Natural had quite a cast, besides Redford, Close, and Basinger. Try Robert Duvall, Wilford Brimley, Richard Farnsworth, Barbara Hershey, Robert Prosky, a Joe Don Baker - a very nice character actor ensemble, I'd say.

It grossed $50M at the box office in 1984, and garnered 4 Oscar nominations, from the liner notes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks