What's new

Rj45 Wall plate needed (with a twist) (1 Viewer)

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
I'm wiring my house for ethernet next weekend, and I'd like to put a jack in the kitchen (there is an existing cable outlet, so I don't have to drill the hole). I'm pretty handy with a pair of crimpers and a punchdown tool (I do network support at work).

But I need a special wall plate for the kitchen. I need a RJ45 plate that has a covering (like exterior power outlets do) to prevent grease, food, etc from getting into the port.

Anyone got any ideas where to find them, or any vendor that specializes in wall plates? I checked SmartHome.com and didn't see what I needed.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I've seen plugs that fit over the RJ45 jack to protect it, maybe you can get one of those. As an alternative, just stick a RJ45 plug (with no cable crimped to it) into the jack when it's not in use.

Alternatively, can you locate the jack away from the part of the kitchen that gets greasy or wet?

KJP

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Would a downward facing one work? We use those for our wallplates at work. The cable goes in at a 45 degree angle.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Don- I'm actually going to use the downward 45s for the other rooms, but this one needs a bit more protection. The plug/insert idea sounds interesting....do you have a link Kevin?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks