What's new

"Ring Two" ... Two versions, but one's only in full-screen (1 Viewer)

GaryEA

Second Unit
I've been wondering when this was going to be released, and last night I caught the first mention of it (well, for me, at least) on DVDAnswers.

I'm hoping that this is early or incomplete info. The idea of keeping the theatrical release MAR is mind-boggling.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's odd that there's no widescreen version of the theatrical cut but I guess they view the 'unrated' version as the definitive cut of the movie. And maybe they figure that the PG-13 full frame version will be going almost exclusively to Wal Marts only so no one will notice.

Still I wish they'd release the WS theatrical cut too.

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
Not the first time it has happened either. Charlie's Angels 2 was MAR only for the theatrical cut as well as Anchorman.

--Ian

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I have SEEN the unrated Anchorman at wal-mart, as well as the unrated edition of Charlies Angels 2 and even the Grudge unrated. Maybe Wal-Mart had a change of mind? In fact, I bought the unrated Anchorman at a different wal-mart. What gives? Some don't carry them , some do.

GaryEA

Second Unit

That was my first thought too Travis - that the studios were trying get the unrated to become the "definitive" version. But ultimately, not preserving the OAR of the theatrical cut is a pretty lousy move, if this comes to pass. Especially if it's to cater to Wal-Mart. Anybody know if the unrated "Grudge" made it to Wally World?

And in the department of wishful thinking; why not an "unrated" edition of the first film? I believe there were a number of additional scenes that didn't make the final cut.

But I digress...

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I've seen quite a few "unrated" versions at Wal-Mart recently, too, but most of them have been for films that were originally rated PG-13 (King Arthur, Anchorman, etc.) I don't recall seeing any for films that were originally rated R. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it's interesting.

I have to admit, though, I'm starting to tire of all these "unrated" versions. If it's truly a director's preferred cut, then that's great, but I often wonder if some of this stuff was really ever intended to be in the film in the first place. For example, Trey Parker has gone on record saying he didn't really want the "unrated" material in Team America to be part of the final film, and in fact he had to be talked into allowing it to be released on DVD.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread there; it was just something I'd been thinking about recently.

GaryEA

Second Unit

Indeed. The constant repackaging of films with "new" cuts has become ridiculous, so much so that I can't tell if a new edition is something the director wanted to offer, or is purely a product of marketing.

But what has got my goat in this case is that the studio is choosing to give the "unrated" edition, which nobody has ever seen before, better treatment over the theatrical cut.

I liked "Ring Two", would like to watch it as I did in the theaters, and then watch the unrated if I so choose.

Marketed like this, Dreamworks won't get me to buy either of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks