"Ring Two" ... Two versions, but one's only in full-screen

Discussion in 'DVD' started by GaryEA, Jun 10, 2005.

1. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

I've been wondering when this was going to be released, and last night I caught the first mention of it (well, for me, at least) on DVDAnswers.

I'm hoping that this is early or incomplete info. The idea of keeping the theatrical release MAR is mind-boggling.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

That's odd that there's no widescreen version of the theatrical cut but I guess they view the 'unrated' version as the definitive cut of the movie. And maybe they figure that the PG-13 full frame version will be going almost exclusively to Wal Marts only so no one will notice.

Still I wish they'd release the WS theatrical cut too.

3. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

There's no excuse for not including both cuts of a movie on the same disc!

4. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Not the first time it has happened either. Charlie's Angels 2 was MAR only for the theatrical cut as well as Anchorman.

--Ian

5. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Excellent news that they are including this on the disc. I was pissed-off a few months back when Dreamworks released the 'Rings' bonus disc with the re-release of the original Ring DVD. I've been checking the used DVD shops looking for the bonus disc on it's own without any success. Guess I no longer have to look anymore.[​IMG]

6. Shad R

Shad R Supporting Actor

I have SEEN the unrated Anchorman at wal-mart, as well as the unrated edition of Charlies Angels 2 and even the Grudge unrated. Maybe Wal-Mart had a change of mind? In fact, I bought the unrated Anchorman at a different wal-mart. What gives? Some don't carry them , some do.

7. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

That was my first thought too Travis - that the studios were trying get the unrated to become the "definitive" version. But ultimately, not preserving the OAR of the theatrical cut is a pretty lousy move, if this comes to pass. Especially if it's to cater to Wal-Mart. Anybody know if the unrated "Grudge" made it to Wally World?

And in the department of wishful thinking; why not an "unrated" edition of the first film? I believe there were a number of additional scenes that didn't make the final cut.

But I digress...

8. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I've seen quite a few "unrated" versions at Wal-Mart recently, too, but most of them have been for films that were originally rated PG-13 (King Arthur, Anchorman, etc.) I don't recall seeing any for films that were originally rated R. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but it's interesting.

I have to admit, though, I'm starting to tire of all these "unrated" versions. If it's truly a director's preferred cut, then that's great, but I often wonder if some of this stuff was really ever intended to be in the film in the first place. For example, Trey Parker has gone on record saying he didn't really want the "unrated" material in Team America to be part of the final film, and in fact he had to be talked into allowing it to be released on DVD.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread there; it was just something I'd been thinking about recently.

9. Eric DiPiazza

Eric DiPiazza Stunt Coordinator

Same thing happened with Old School too if I remember correctly.

10. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

Indeed. The constant repackaging of films with "new" cuts has become ridiculous, so much so that I can't tell if a new edition is something the director wanted to offer, or is purely a product of marketing.

But what has got my goat in this case is that the studio is choosing to give the "unrated" edition, which nobody has ever seen before, better treatment over the theatrical cut.

I liked "Ring Two", would like to watch it as I did in the theaters, and then watch the unrated if I so choose.

Marketed like this, Dreamworks won't get me to buy either of them.